Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Brakes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 12:03   #1
TrickyDick
Very Senior User
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey
Car: VII FQ-300x2
Posts: 483
MTEC discs for K-Sport/D2 - review

I've had D2 330mm brakes on my 7 for a good few years now using Carbotech XP12 pads and together they perform very well. However as they are used mainly for track days I've had to change discs every year because the D2 discs suffer from bad surface cracking - actually failed an MOT one year.

Thought I'd try MTEC discs this year. They are machined flat compared to the 1mm mounting lip on the D2's so I decided to mount the bell with 1mm washers to put them central again - no ill effects doing this as far as I have seen.

With new pads I bedded them in with a few heat cycles on the road (a few 70 - 20 hard stops type of thing) and let them cool each time. First time on track got them a lot hotter with a few laps and again let them cool.

After this they worked well on track however on the road afterwards they squealed something rotten - even I found it hard to live with !

However after a couple more hard use track days the squeal calmed down and they are now OK on the road (not 100% quiet but OK). I assume this is both pad and disc bedding down.

After similar use (see below) the MTECs are holding up much better than the D2s so overall I'd recommend MTEC as a better alternative to D2/K-Sport and they are a little cheaper too

One other thing to note with D2 is DO NOT under any circumstances use the drilled disc option - my garage fitted these after the MOT fail and after 1 track day they had 2mm deep cracks around lots of the holes, to be fair to supplier they replaced them FOC.

D2 disc:



MTEC:




D2 after 1 track outing

TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 21:07   #2
Jinksevo
Senior User
 
Jinksevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
My Car
Posts: 430
I was looking at getting 330mm front k sport kit for my 8 and running with their own discs and using carbotec xp12's also. The kit without the pads is £900 give or take.. but you've kinda put me off their discs now :-(
__________________
Aaron
Jinksevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:53   #3
TrickyDick
Very Senior User
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey
Car: VII FQ-300x2
Posts: 483
Of course component life depends on your usage and I've always been hard on brakes. They are a consumable item so anything you use will need maintenance replacement at some point. My review was to compare replacement options and I still think the original setup is very good value for money at about half the cost of Alcons etc. and this setup does work very well.

Cheers
Rich
TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
Jinksevo (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:24   #4
Sam-b
Senior User
 
Sam-b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cheshire
Car: Evo 9 forged 2.2 stroker, S205b turbo, Link G4+ Ecu. More to follow!!
My Car
Posts: 174
Hi bud, where did you purchase the MTEC discs from, I'm in need of some replacement discs for my D2's so happy you posted this. When you say you mounted with 1mm washers, do you mean between the disc and rotar ?
Sam-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07   #5
Jinksevo
Senior User
 
Jinksevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
My Car
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Of course component life depends on your usage and I've always been hard on brakes. They are a consumable item so anything you use will need maintenance replacement at some point. My review was to compare replacement options and I still think the original setup is very good value for money at about half the cost of Alcons etc. and this setup does work very well.

Cheers
Rich
Cheers for your feedback rich, I understand discs and pads are a consumable.. but I guess I'll just use the discs that come in the kit anyway, and when they are ruined get some mtec or girodisc ones. Do you rate the calliper as a decent calliper?

Cheers aaron.
__________________
Aaron
Jinksevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:24   #6
thetyrant
Brake Guru!
 
thetyrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cumbria....
Car: Supercharged GT86 :) - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Posts: 16,616
Good review, im surprised at the difference and will be interesting to see longer term findings, we have always found the Ksport/D2 grooved rotors to be pretty durable and with curved internal vanes a decent design.

Its a shame the Mtec ones don't have the proper offset to make direct fitment though as im not sure I would want washers where you have them, but if its working just keep an eye on bolts for coming loose.

Ian
__________________
MLR Sprint Series Class A champion 2013 and 2014- Powered by and stopped by Carbotech

Contact me for the best deals on Carbotech High Performance Brake Pads,
MOTUL RBF600 Brake Fluid and also Stainless Hose kits


thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thetyrant For This Useful Post:
Jinksevo (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:33   #7
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
Posts: 20,095
long time ago since I fitted K Sports and not got the car anymore, but didnt they come with a bag of shims, various thicknesses, to space the caliper, to make it central on the disc. Would that not be a better place to compensate for the difference

STu
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:51   #8
TrickyDick
Very Senior User
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey
Car: VII FQ-300x2
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-b View Post
Hi bud, where did you purchase the MTEC discs from, I'm in need of some replacement discs for my D2's so happy you posted this. When you say you mounted with 1mm washers, do you mean between the disc and rotar ?
Bought direct from MTEC - see their listing in "Links"
TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:53   #9
TrickyDick
Very Senior User
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey
Car: VII FQ-300x2
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksevo View Post
Cheers for your feedback rich, I understand discs and pads are a consumable.. but I guess I'll just use the discs that come in the kit anyway, and when they are ruined get some mtec or girodisc ones. Do you rate the calliper as a decent calliper?

Cheers aaron.
Calipers work well, much better than standard Brembo and they cope with the heat on track better/longer.
TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
Jinksevo (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 17:01   #10
TrickyDick
Very Senior User
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey
Car: VII FQ-300x2
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrant View Post
Good review, im surprised at the difference and will be interesting to see longer term findings, we have always found the Ksport/D2 grooved rotors to be pretty durable and with curved internal vanes a decent design.

Its a shame the Mtec ones don't have the proper offset to make direct fitment though as im not sure I would want washers where you have them, but if its working just keep an eye on bolts for coming loose.

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
long time ago since I fitted K Sports and not got the car anymore, but didnt they come with a bag of shims, various thicknesses, to space the caliper, to make it central on the disc. Would that not be a better place to compensate for the difference

STu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-b View Post
Hi bud, where did you purchase the MTEC discs from, I'm in need of some replacement discs for my D2's so happy you posted this. When you say you mounted with 1mm washers, do you mean between the disc and rotar ?

I'd agree washers not ideal and I was a little apprehensive but so far so good. IIRC the shims take it the wrong way and I didn't have any in to start with.

See second picture, you can just see the washer between bell and disc.
TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 17:15   #11
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
Posts: 20,095
ahhh, wasn't thinking you'd put the spacers there. To be honest I dont think i'd be comfortable with that, especially with the heavy track use and strong pads, as you are losing some of the surface area contact/friction created when the bolts are torqued up

I'd be curious to see an engineers opinion (hint Clivew ) on this

Stu
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 23:21   #12
adamfitz
Senior User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 749
I purchased some mtec rotors for my ksport kit last year and like yourself had the issue of them being flat and therefore did not sit central in the caliper. I emailed them and they said they had never come across this problem before but would supply a machined ring to act as a spacer between bell and rotor. This still didn't work so I sent them back and after a bit of hesitation they gave me a refund!
adamfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 23:40   #13
TrickyDick
Very Senior User
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Surrey
Car: VII FQ-300x2
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
ahhh, wasn't thinking you'd put the spacers there. To be honest I dont think i'd be comfortable with that, especially with the heavy track use and strong pads, as you are losing some of the surface area contact/friction created when the bolts are torqued up

I'd be curious to see an engineers opinion (hint Clivew ) on this

Stu
Of course most of the forces when braking are shear on the bolts so this will not be affected much. However I would expect the washer would result in some small turning moment because the bell is not in contact with as much of the disc as normal. If it was an issue I was expecting it might result in some judder but have not had any problems at all. Because there are 12 bolts I guess the effect is quite small.

Also the normal disc contact area with the bell is cut away quite a lot so there is not contact over the whole of the bell anyway, hence the difference with washers is much less than you might imagine.

I had new pads that are quite a snug fit hence the washers but you could do without them with slightly warn pads if preferred.

Edit ps: I have the newer M8 bolts - would be much less happy with the older M6.

Last edited by TrickyDick; 11-08-2017 at 23:58..
TrickyDick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:34   #14
stu8
Senior User
 
stu8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Southport
Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
Posts: 20,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Of course most of the forces when braking are shear on the bolts so this will not be affected much. However I would expect the washer would result in some small turning moment because the bell is not in contact with as much of the disc as normal. If it was an issue I was expecting it might result in some judder but have not had any problems at all. Because there are 12 bolts I guess the effect is quite small.

Also the normal disc contact area with the bell is cut away quite a lot so there is not contact over the whole of the bell anyway, hence the difference with washers is much less than you might imagine.

I had new pads that are quite a snug fit hence the washers but you could do without them with slightly warn pads if preferred.

Edit ps: I have the newer M8 bolts - would be much less happy with the older M6.
Personally i'd go without them and run the disc slightly offset, as soon as the pads will fit

Stu
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41   #15
thetyrant
Brake Guru!
 
thetyrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cumbria....
Car: Supercharged GT86 :) - Previously: Evo9-FQ360, Evo5-RS + 2 x Evo2's, all gone but not forgotten.
My Car
Posts: 16,616
We could always make the pads custom thickness to suit, however its not ideal to have a disc not running centrally inside the caliper, hence why the aftermarket kits comes with shims to get that right
__________________
MLR Sprint Series Class A champion 2013 and 2014- Powered by and stopped by Carbotech

Contact me for the best deals on Carbotech High Performance Brake Pads,
MOTUL RBF600 Brake Fluid and also Stainless Hose kits


thetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.