Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer EX 2000 Turbo

Old 02-08-2017, 08:59   #1
Tintin

Car: 2 Lancer Ex2000 turbo's
EX propshaft donut

Hi
Just to let you al know, I replaced the prop donut on my EX with the following part from Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI...AAAOSwzhVWqh80

It fits perfectly, to replace you need to remove the circlips from the UJ and knock the pins out with a socket, it helps if you keep lubing them as you hammer them out. Remove the UJ caps and the UJ will come out, undo the 27mm bolt from the end of the prop, and gently tap the old donut off. Grease the new one up and push it on, and reverse the procedure.

I cleaned up the cup bearings and yokes with some fine grit paper , then went over them with carb cleaner and a cloth to make sure all the crud was removed. I then left it an hour and cleaned again to make sure.

To begin with getting the pins out was a pain, I was going to use a fly press, but found the socket approach was easier.

Lastly, there was some wear in the UJ, I intend to replace the UJ's and donut on my spare prop to make it "as new". Does anyone know the MB part number and UJ Part numbers for the Prop at all?. As it seems to share the donut I'm thinking it might share the UJ with the Canter / Strada.

Hope that helps, for a tenner that's not a bad price for a donut and it definitely 100% fits with no alterations needed.
Wilkins (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 21:32   #2
PaulS

Car: Solid, rustless EX 2000
UJ repair kit part no is (well was) MB000823 but strangely there is no part no for the UJ itself, only a * where the part no should be. But all 3 UJs are the same

Try Kevin at Brighton Mitsubishi to see what he can track down (he is on holiday until next week though...) He has always helped me out....

I would also have bough a spare sentre bearing but they are no longer available - unless you know different - let me know if you do....
Old 03-08-2017, 15:30   #3
Tintin

Hi Paul.
Keep an eye on the seller, he gets them in every so often and advertises, otherwise the same part number is also available elsewhere on ebay but a bit more expensive.

I had to grind the old one off (it was badly split up anyway) , cut the rubber and then tap the remaining bearing off the shaft after removing the 27mm nut, which in turn will take the yoke off with it. but only as it was badly rusted and in poor condition. You might have to use some gear pullers to get the yoke off however.

When refitting, make sure that the donut assembly is going to be facing the correct way (when under the car the small spot welded ridge on the outside needs to be on the drivers side when upside down, if in doubt slide under and try it ) do this BEFORE fitting it to the shaft, because once it's attached getting it off again is a real PITA.
Also, when refitting the yoke after you've slid the donut / bearing assembly on make sure the cast yokes all line up, so the fixed section of the yoke on the front of the prop lines up with the fixed section on the rear yoke and all the way along to where it would meet the axle, otherwise it'll be out of phase and you'll get serious vibrations.

I've found a local company in Ipswich who will measure the UJ and can obtain them, along with the caps for about £50 each, so I'll be ordering 3 new ones and a new donut for my spare prop and rebuild it for a total of about £170, which isn't too shabby.

Cheers
Pete
Old 11-08-2017, 19:38   #4
PaulS

Got one

Thanks for the info - I got one - delivered today and as you say it looks absolutely perfect...

Cheers
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14   #5
Tintin

Hi Paul
That's good news mate. I've put a youtube video up about how to do it, there's 2 vids in total, one about replacing the donut and another explaining the mistakes I made!

First video (note the wrong orientation of the donut sleeve)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siw_zCbkT0I

second video (mistakes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0QmgqwRqPQ

There's a few vids of my car on there as well, the ongoing restoration etc.

It made a big difference when I engaged first, also reverse. No more "clunks"

Cheers
Pete

Last edited by Tintin; 12-08-2017 at 10:15..
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 20:42   #6
PaulS

Cheers Pete. Mothing wrong with my current one but they do fail from time to time and I had no spare... When you need one they are hard to get and expensive! Hence grabbing a bargain. Even more of a bargain if it persuades the one I already have to stay in good condition.... It is usually the thing I do not have that fails..

Last edited by PaulS; 12-08-2017 at 20:43..
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: