Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Bikes

Old 24-07-2017, 21:32   #1
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
Test Riding the 2017 Suzuki GSX-S1000 and GSXR1000R

Well its been fun

Latest thing these days are the manufacturers road shows. Lucky for me i live very close to a large biker haunt and so we've had a few visit this year. Unfortunately i missed the Honda and Yamaha roadshows, i did however catch both the Suzuki and BMW road shows over the past few weeks.

So first off was the Suzuki one. Book your place online, maximum of two bikes per day. I chose the GSX-S1000 which is the naked butch looking animal, and the all new GSXR-1000R I did think about booking the RR but considered that it would be too much for the road - more on that shortly.

So first up the GSX-S1000....

Good looking, comfy and naked which will keep the speed down nicely.

I now find myself at that age where i'm looking to get away from sportsbikes, they are becoming more uncomfortable due to my age and a good bit less practical, lets face it pillion passengers on the new sports bikes are not really catered for and i do like a good two up ride to the coast.

After a short briefing it was time to get on the bikes and ride out...

Just two outriders, one at the front and one at the back. No overtaking and stay in the order they send you out. This was the first ride out of the day at 9:30 on the Sunday morning .... and it was a good pace too Unfortunately i was on the wrong bike - i should have taken the GSXR out first but i was worried in case the roads were damp and having not ridden a bike for over a year i wanted to ease back into it. Well as usual thats a nonsense, when you've been brought up on bikes and ridden them all your life its just like getting back in the saddle after a couple of weeks off.

Anyway the bike - what a let down! it was alright in a straight line and surprisingly not much wind blast either, even at fast speeds. Engine pulled well but no better i thought than a 1000cc sports bike, even though the engine has been retuned for midrange. Biggest let down was the flow of the bike around corners. There was none. It was like you steered with the handle bars, the front turned and then the rest of the bike followed. Felt very much like it had mismatched tyres, so much so that at the end of the ride i actually checked that they were a matching pair. Not enough rebound damping on the rear shock either, i hit a bump and was almost catapulted out of the seat at one point lol. Glad to give it back, nuff said.

The next test ride was the one i was looking forward to. Time was now 11:15 and glorious sunshine. In fact it had been sunny all morning. After another briefing it was time to mount the new for 2017 GSXR and see what all the fuss was about...

I had tried to swap it for the RR version after chatting to the Suzuki rep but it wasnt to be, it was already booked out. Apparently, the RR version with the all singing external reservoir suspension and quickshifter is around 20% more capable on the road and nicer to ride for it. Never mind, maybe some other time.

Standard R version on the left, RR version on the right....

So anyway, same format as before, lead rider and tail rider, no over taking, ride at your own risk to licence etc.

You know its strange, even before i left the car park the GSXR felt just right, just perfect in fact. Everything about it. The clutch, throttle, footpeg position, sound..... just everything, and it only got better. This second group wasnt as fast the first outing, and increased traffic on the road also meant a slower pace. But having said that i was still able to open the bike up and experience the whole 199.2bhp for myself .... WOW!!! I was and still am three weeks later blown away by the speed and confidence that the bike inspired, i can only guess at how good the RR version is. I pulled out of one particular junction and the road opened up before me, bending slightly to the left, i was lent over following the sweeping bend and opened the bike up in second gear, the front wheel lifted without even trying and hovered above the tarmac, the bike straightened and started to drift towards the center of the road, i rolled the throttle off slightly to bring the front wheel back down, correctly my line and wound the throttle back on ..... and it did the same thing again, so once again i backed off, corrected my line and then re-applied power ....and once again it lifted the wheel meaning backing off for a third time to correct my line, all the time the bike was so composed it really was like poetry in motion, totally unfussed forward motion. The road then straightened i was able to snick third and then fourth before braking firmly due to the quickly approaching bike in front of me. Wow! Amazing.

And all this time the bike just kept on giving me confidence, it just felt so right in every corner, right from the start all the way to the end. Awesome. And i dont use that word lightly. Suffice to say for the next three days solid i racked my brain to find a way to own one (without a PCP deal lol ) .... its on hold for now due to a house purchase, but after that i'm not sure how long i'll be able to hold out. Unbelievable!

If you get the chance then do it, what an experience.

Thank You Suzuki

*que lots of comments about the size of the end can
AndyA (25-07-2017), evo5d (24-07-2017), J90ELB (25-07-2017), M3 ROB (25-07-2017), Realbadman (24-07-2017), Stallion (25-07-2017)
Old 24-07-2017, 21:43   #2
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
thats PROPERLY kool ,but DEAR GOD whats with the silencer ,was there nothing better thay could do with that

Sir winston churchill
super rover is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
DuncanIV (25-07-2017)
Old 24-07-2017, 22:22   #3
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rover View Post
thats PROPERLY kool ,but DEAR GOD whats with the silencer ,was there nothing better thay could do with that

Lots of people slate the silencer which i can kinda understand as it is big, however i take the view that i'd rather have one of that size to meet regulations and then replace it with an aftermarket one, than to have a smaller one from factory with an additional one under the engine to meet the regs that isnt so easy to replace?

Old 25-07-2017, 08:13   #4
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V 2.3 Stroker
My Car
I used to ride a K2 Gixxer Thou and it was just superb, I adored it. The power, handling, looks, everything about it.

I would love to try one of these new generation big bikes. I haven't ridden for a few years. My last bike was a Yamaha FZ1, like you I went from faired to naked, thought would be more comfy. I was riding along a road up near boxhill and a tree fell down in front of me, I 5h1t you not, I'll dig out the video tonight. I had nowhere to go, hit it, did a fair impression of superman, and then hit the deck hard and put a hole in my left side on the hip. Could barely walk for 2 weeks was aching like hell. Misses won't let me get another bike now
Old 25-07-2017, 17:47   #5
RichW

My Car
wow! Lucky escape, i could have landed on you

I wasn't expecting to like it as much as i did, i even dreamt about it for the following two nights
M3 ROB (25-07-2017)
Old 25-07-2017, 18:45   #6
Stallion
Moderatorô

Car: (s)... Yes I have a few in my collection ;-)
My Car
Good pis and write up

Did you buy one

Biggest Evo Event Click Here
Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 19:24   #7
M3 ROB
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 TME,
Great write up Rich, I'd love a go on one, had many Suzuki's over the 27 or so years I've been riding, but I'm getting old now so my 210 bhp ZZR is enough for me
M3 ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 20:01   #8
TimC

Car: Evo IX GT
My Car
I taken a new Fireblade SP1 out the other week and it just inspired confidence. It was lighter, more nimble and agile than my Daytona.
I'd love to take out a new GSXR-R as they have dominated recent group tests.

Like you if I didn't have a house purchase looming I would be looking to own one of these missiles.

Ric the exhaust are to meet new Euro Emissions, they are ghastly but needs must.
Old 26-07-2017, 17:58   #9
RichW

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
Good pis and write up

Did you buy one

Not yet - bloody tempting mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 ROB View Post
Great write up Rich, I'd love a go on one, had many Suzuki's over the 27 or so years I've been riding, but I'm getting old now so my 210 bhp ZZR is enough for me

I didnt realise you were a biker Rob - i love the freedom of bikes, nothing like it
M3 ROB (26-07-2017)
Old 26-07-2017, 18:30   #10
grants
Senior User

Car: A proper Evo (6RS)
As I could be a "biker" (full 2 wheel licence for ever*) how much do modern super bikes cost?

* pre 1970
grants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 18:57   #11
M3 ROB
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 TME,
Quote:
Originally Posted by grants View Post
As I could be a "biker" (full 2 wheel licence for ever*) how much do modern super bikes cost?

* pre 1970
Anything from 13.5k to 140k for a GP replica
M3 ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: