Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > ECU / Mapping

Old 18-05-2017, 21:44   #16
Cryptwalk

Car: Cpp built Evo V1 Extreme No7 & a stroker red 7
My Car
Send a message via MSN to Cryptwalk
Talking about boost control I've had a mare of late with the link. I believe there is a problem with closed loop boost control and link are in about bringing out a patch?

All I know is my boost was all over the show and my mappers been pulling his hair out. He's now changed it and wrote a full boost table from scratch which is now at last working faultlessly. I'm not technically minded like him but he explained it as being active boost control before and the ecu was trying to hit a boost level so threw a load of duty on and my car came i that quick it was like ****, less duty so it ended up overboosting and being very hit and miss.
Said it's now passive so just looks for the duty on the table at whatever revs and sticks that in. Time consuming for sure.

Love the G4 though, My car came with a power fc and wouldn't run quick enough. Since changing to the link I've seen improvements in every area.
Cryptwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 06:08   #17
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: IX FQ-320: GT1s, COP, Rods, LinkG4+, MR lip & has the devil in it (& 996 C4S: exhaust)
My Car
The thing about the Link boost control is you can't just ask it for an open loop (active feedback loop) without setting up the closed loop properly first.

You need to map the boost on closed loop (simple duty cycle mapping) *accurately" for 3 different boost levels.

If you want a boost control of, say, 1.8bar there needs to be an accurate table for duty cycle requirements for 1.7; 1.8 & 1.9 bar.

The Open loop system for 1.8 bar then uses this table as an initial target duty, and then also uses the table as a bracketing system to calculate the correction values to achieve a feedback controlled 1.8 bar so that it doesn't overshoot or undershoot when adding extra random or uncalculated duty to ramp up, for instance, from 1.75 to 1.8...

Hope that makes sense. It is a good system, but just needs the understanding of how it works.

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 07:03   #18
Cryptwalk

Car: Cpp built Evo V1 Extreme No7 & a stroker red 7
My Car
Send a message via MSN to Cryptwalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
The thing about the Link boost control is you can't just ask it for an open loop (active feedback loop) without setting up the closed loop properly first.

You need to map the boost on closed loop (simple duty cycle mapping) *accurately" for 3 different boost levels.

If you want a boost control of, say, 1.8bar there needs to be an accurate table for duty cycle requirements for 1.7; 1.8 & 1.9 bar.

The Open loop system for 1.8 bar then uses this table as an initial target duty, and then also uses the table as a bracketing system to calculate the correction values to achieve a feedback controlled 1.8 bar so that it doesn't overshoot or undershoot when adding extra random or uncalculated duty to ramp up, for instance, from 1.75 to 1.8...

Hope that makes sense. It is a good system, but just needs the understanding of how it works.
Yeah I know what you're saying.. Its so much better now as it is, I think I'll leave it on closed loop passive..

I have 100% faith in the tuner, sure he would of done what you're saying, he's done loads of link (amongst others) over many years and my car is the first to suffer like this.

I have 3 different switchable boost levels/maps on the car in case it's wet etc 1,1.5 and 2.2 so sure he set it up on 3 levels.
Cryptwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 07:37   #19
Ads9
Senior User

Car: EVO IX FQ320, Honda Fireblade & Nissan Navara
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn1979 View Post
How come you want to go open loop boost control?
I was thinking the same- I believe Mark means he has Open loop and wants Closed loop.

FWIW I'm really pleased with my Link, live mapping and logging are significant improvements over stock. The knock control, like everything else in the ECU is fully tunable and as with many things in life it will only be as good as the person setting it all up.

My opinion is that once internals are changed (forged, bored, stroked,etc) standalone/ aftermarket is needed to realise the engines potential. The standard ECU with a Tephra ROM is still very good but I believe is better suited to a stock engine with bolt-ons.

Hope that helps the OP with the choice
Ads9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ads9 For This Useful Post:
Mita (19-05-2017), Rampant (19-05-2017), tazzi (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 09:42   #20
sbn1979
Hi

Car: Evo 6 Tommi Mak
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads9 View Post
I was thinking the same- I believe Mark means he has Open loop and wants Closed loop.

FWIW I'm really pleased with my Link, live mapping and logging are significant improvements over stock. The knock control, like everything else in the ECU is fully tunable and as with many things in life it will only be as good as the person setting it all up.

My opinion is that once internals are changed (forged, bored, stroked,etc) standalone/ aftermarket is needed to realise the engines potential. The standard ECU with a Tephra ROM is still very good but I believe is better suited to a stock engine with bolt-ons.

Yeah I think their may be a bit of confusion happening
You can set the link up in any format you want, open loop, open loop passive or closed loop and yes ive heard about the closed loop issue which is to be patched soon iirc, atmospheric compensations work in all setups of boost control
sbn1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbn1979 For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (19-05-2017), Rampant (19-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 09:56   #21
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: IX FQ-320: GT1s, COP, Rods, LinkG4+, MR lip & has the devil in it (& 996 C4S: exhaust)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads9 View Post

Yes you're quite right, I got them mixed up and didn't realise the basic error.

Thanks for putting me right.

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
Ads9 (19-05-2017), sbn1979 (19-05-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: