Lancer Register Forum banner

My EVO 8 MR tune-up

83K views 134 replies 39 participants last post by  cyberfella 
#1 ·
This thread will be dedicated to the excellent work Mat, Dave and Simon have done at MG Auto Motorsport, bringing my newly acquired 2005 8 MR FQ-340 back to life and packing a new level of punch, with an underside/underseal freshen up, suspension and brakes, engine and turbo overhaul and finally the tune.

Watch this space, it will be updated with images and specs over the next day or two.

:mitsi::smthumbup

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I love your cam cover ��

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks. That was my idea. Mat and Dave made it happen, Simon's dad hand stripped it and powdercoated it, then Mat took it to the hydrodippers for the carbon-effect overlay. I'm well happy with the result. It's lovely.

I also purchased double layer carbon fibre cam and plug covers that Dave made fit (cos nothings ever that easy) and he sourced some nice new fasteners to complete the job.

Nothing seems too much trouble for these guys and they make amazing things happen. I've dealt with a few tuner shops over the years with various cars and in fairness, they've been really good, but I've never known anything like these guys. They must love what they do to go the extra mile for their customers like they do.

#4 · (Edited)
Full Spec

OK, for all you geeks, here are the specs. Some secret details have been left out at the request of MG Motorsport. This will be updated as work completes.

MODEL:
2005 Evolution VIII MR FQ-340 Graphite Grey 531BHP@1.9bar (Shell VPower)

OWNER/DRIVER: Matt Bradley
ENGINEERING/TUNER: M G Auto Motorsport, Derbyshire.

ENGINE:
Mitsubishi 4G63 2.0 litre inline 4 cylinder turbo
Standard 8.8:1 compression ratio
Standard 88mm crank stroke
Bridgeway 150mm I-beam forged con rods
Ported and polished cylinder head inlet and exhaust ports
Ported Intake and Exhaust manifolds.
Inconel valves and volumetric efficiency matched, polished chambers
JUN 272 degree cams
Kiggly Beehive valve springs, titanium retainers and 3mm lash adjusters
Seat pressure = 97lbs at 1.440"
Rate = 325lb/in
ARP Custom age 625+ head studs
HKS 5 layer metal head gasket
Ported & Zircotec coated Race-Tech tubular exhaust manifold
Cosworth thermal gasket on intake manifold
Aeromotive 340 litres/hour fuel pump
Injector Dynamics 1000 fuel injectors
Nominal Flow Rate - 1015cc/min @ 3.0 Bar (43.5 psi) -52 Degrees C
Maximum Differential Fuel Pressure - 7.0 Bar (101.5 psi)
HKS SPF Reloaded air filter
Forced Performance exhaust manifold
20% larger runners and collector entry angles
Tomei Expreme 3" turbo elbow.
Zircotec coated intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo hot side and turbo elbow. titanium heat wrapped downpipe.
M2 Motorsport resonated decat pipe.
Kakimoto Regu06&R stainless steel cat back exhaust.
Sparktech Pro Ignition Coil over Plug Kit.
Battery relocated to boot with full wiring tuck.
Fluidampr.
Blox Racing billet motor mount.

BOOST:
EVO IX Blouch Dominator 3.0 XTR Stock Frame Ball bearing Turbo.
Dom 3.0XTR flows 64-65 lbs per min
Inducer Wheel Size: 67mm
Exducer Wheel Size: 60mm
Wagner Competition intercooler
550mm x 390mm x 95mm/50mm stepped ), providing a 2145cm² frontalarea and 17,7 Litre volume
MAC 3-port boost control solenoid
Optimal operating frequency: 25-50hz
Max pressure: 120psi
Usable duty: 10-90%
Speed density conversion (MAF delete)
GFB Deceptor 2 Pro BOV with variable VTA/Re-circulation and whistling trumpet.

COOLING:
Mishimoto performance radiator with twin fans, Ralliart thermostat.
Mishimoto Oil cooler (10% higher cooling efficiency).
HKS 2nd Oil cooler (passenger side).

TRANSMISSION/DRIVETRAIN:
CliveW built RS gearbox with 4.11 Final Drive:
Input Output
1st=N14 1st=N39 2.785 53MPH
2nd=N20 2nd=N39 1.950 76MPH
3rd=N27 3rd=N39 1.444 102MPH
4th=N31 4th=N34 1.096 135MPH
5th=N40 5th=N33 0.825 179MPH
FD - 18/74 - 4.11
Mitsubishi brand new replacement shift cables
ARSpeed Short shift kit
Mishimoto Ryan Tuerck signature gear shift knob
ACT 6 puck ceramic single plate clutch, HD pressure plate and ACT flywheel
RS Rear Differential
ACD mapped by Lee5 with a 30%, 60% and 90% reaction time increase to Tarmac, Gravel and Snow settings.

INTERIOR:
Safety Devices rear roll cage, Cobra Suzuka GT drivers seat, Cobra Imola GT passenger seat.
Takata 6 point harnesses
OMP Corsica OV steering wheel
Triple A pillar pod housing Stack Pro Control oil press, oil temp and boost gauges.
MG Auto Motorsport sun strip.

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION:
Ohlins Road and Track DFV Dual Flow Valve Coilovers
Spring rates: 12kg front, 10 rear, custom revalved by Mick Gardner Racing
MG Auto Motorsport Corner weighted and Fast Road Geo Alignment set up.
Superpro Roll Control uprated rear anti-roll bar
Duro ball front arm kit
Superpro full chassis polybush kit
Superpro roll center kit
Superpro adjustable drop links
Hardrace adjustable rear camber arms
Hardrace adjustable rear toe arms

BRAKING:
Alcon Advantage Extreme big brake kit
365 front and 330 rear semi-floating discs
Ferodo DS Uno ceramic brake pads
Goodridge braided steel brake lines
Motul 660 DOT 5.1 brake fluid

WHEELS/TYRES:
Rota Boost 18"x9.5" ET30 wheels
Yokohama Advan Sport V105S 235/40/18 91Y (Street)
Pressures 32psi front 30psi rear (once hot)
Enkei 18" x 8.5" Evo X wheels, powder coated neon yellow to match engine bay pipework (Track only)
Toyo R888R tyres 245/35/18
Pressures 27psi front 29psi rear (TRACK ONLY)
Enkei 18" x 8.5" Evo X wheels, painted silver (Road/Track use)
Yokohama Neova AD08R 245/35/18
Pressures 27psi front 29psi rear (ROAD/TRACK)
Pirelli Trofeo R 235/40/18
Pressures 27psi front 29psi rear (TRACK ONLY)

ELECTRONICS:
52mm Stack Pro Control Oil Pressure, Oil temperature and Boost gauges mounted on triple A pillar pod.
MG Auto Motorsport Wire tuck, battery relocated to boot and ARMTech battery isolator installation.
Syvecs S6 ECU, JT Innovations Toucan display, JT Innovations shift lights.

AERO:
APR 67" GTC-300 Rear Wing
APR GT3 Wing Mirrors
Ralliart OEM roof vortex generator
Carbon front canards
Carbon front splitter

#13 ·
Not yet. I will follow up with a photo of the interior, and also the brakes once they've been fitted but these items are being fitted last in order to keep it clean. The guys at the shop got the steering wheel retrim done. I'm afraid I don't know who by, but rest assured the finish is excellent (I have seen it).

#8 · (Edited)
With the chassis and suspension sorted, my turbo decided to "s--t itself" (as is the term used in the trade, I've found out), so new turbo means a whole world of new opportunity. I'm no mechanic, but I'll happily drive any vehicle and enthuse about it's good points and point out its not-so-good points, so I know enough to know what I want in a car and what I don't want. Realistically, this car will be mostly driven on roads, with infrequent trips to the track, so I wanted to retain the wide power-band with a quick spooling turbo and higher power and torque. The car has switchable maps, so a low boost map for the road and a higher performance map for the circuit would be ideal. So, after a few conversations with Mat, we decided to go with a FP manifold and Blouch Dom 3 XTR stock frame turbo into a Tomei elbow. This meant the bottom end needed to be strengthened with a rod-job and the head worked on with new Kiggly Beehive valve springs, retainers, lash adjusters, valves and stem seals. The car already had GSC S2 cams when I acquired it, and despite the work on the engine, both the bottom end and head were in lovely condition.

#12 ·
Great thread, will keep an eye on this.

Lovely car and spec as well.
Thanks, I want to keep the thread concise so people can enjoy it in one or two pages, instead of scrolling through 20 plus pages, but at the same time, I want to be sure to showcase the excellent workmanship that MG Auto Motorsport are capable of, bearing in mind they've made every single little detail happen on this job.

Two pages of build thread on a forum is in reality, many hours of tireless work by these guys to make the cars special for their customers.

I'm a new, never-met-before customer too, so this is an example of a level of service afforded to every customer, not just me because I'm in some way affiliated with them - I'm not.

Some of their cars are beautiful creations, no less than a nut and bolt rebuild, so a visit to these guys is highly recommended in order to appreciate their ability, passion and humour, whether you have plans for your evo or not, they will and do make time for all their customers.

#21 ·
The hard pipes should be back from the powdercoaters and hydrodippers today, completing the engine bay refresh. Then I'll be pootling about putting some miles on the engine before mapping next week.

A new lease of life calls for some new personalised plates. Thanks Magic Dave@MG for sorting this out. I dig the subtle MG Auto Motorsport logo on the rear plate too.

#27 ·
Just running it in at the moment Moh. The Idle Control Valve is a bit tired so idle isn't right and had a coil pack issue too so hopefully some new parts will arrive this morning that will sort this before mapping next week. I've put 150 miles on it, hopefully put another 4 hours in today.

#31 ·
Like having a mouth full of fruit pastilles and not being able to chew.

I'm pretty good on the self discipline front mate plus you don't have to accelerate to go fast, so I still got to rail it around a few bends on light throttle. Even with no boost, it still makes some nice sounds. :roll::roll:

#32 · (Edited)
Quick update: The first session on the dyno found the limits of the ACT clutch at just over 450 BHP and identified a faulty new lambda sensor :rotz:, so a new Exedy Hyper twin plate clutch will be swapped in so that we can dig a little deeper into the potential of the engine and turbo :D. Due to the ability of the twin plate clutch to endure considerably higher torque we're also going to try some JUN high lift cams instead of the current GSC S2's.
Other than the lamdba slightly affecting the idle, the car is immensely quick. I'm glad it has switchable maps, as even in its present tune, it's quite apparent that one map belongs on the road, whereas the other belongs on the track :tsk:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.