Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 01-02-2017, 22:41   #1
MHR Evolution
Junior User

Car: Evo 6.5 TME Edition
Smile Matts White Evo 6.5

Hi all new to the forum, been reading threads on here now for ages so thought its about time I signed up and shared my Evo experience.
To cut the story short (I want to get to the good stuff) I wanted an evo, as my savings grew bigger I went from wanting a rough evo V to a import 6 and then finally settled on getting my hands on a genuine Evo 6.5.
Lot of hours looking at ebay ads, japan auctions, imported cars for sale etc etc just looking for the right car.
The car had to tick a couple boxes for me, seats must be mint, must have original wheels/engine/gearbox and low mileage, also must not be crash repair or any serious damage. One other thing that was an important factor to me was it must be undersealed
I finally found one on ebay that ticked all the boxes, seller forwarded me some more pictures of underside and vin plates etc and it all checked out good.
So this is the specs and some pictures from the original sale

Imported in 2009
Full extensive service history (has everything import papers, jap history, all the uk history)
85k, converted to mph at 50thou kilometers so works out around 62K miles
Undersealed when it got off the ship, and then done again in 2011 and then was dinitrolled in 2015.
Kept in a garage most of its life
Brand new discs and pads
Brand new nankang ns2r tyres
Recent cambelt and plugs with service
Seats in mint condition
Turbo timer
Fully serviced all oils etc
New ayc pump in 2009
New uprated rad and intercooler.
Wheels recently refurbed.
Full exhaust system

So i got my money together and went and viewed it. I had spent hours upon hours researching what to look at when buying an evo. So armed with a jack and screw driver i got underneath. Stabbed everywhere, floors/chassis legs/around subframe mounting points/radiator cross member/sills (you get the picture)
All was good no rot just some surface rust, some flaking underseal around the areas that where rusted. Few little other problems which were easy to sort and were a good bargaining tool to get some money off the sale price.
Noticed from the pictures the front bumper lines where off but there was no structural damage to show its been in a serious crash.
Had some unmentioned goodies to which was a nice little bonus.
So done the deal and i had recovered home.

So the next day very excited to go and have a fiddle, i give it a powerwash all over and give it a good deep clean. Removed the rally art stickers as I'm not to keen on them, front bumper one was hiding a scratch but not to serious, the rears i removed and it pulled the paint with it. So the rear bumper has been resprayed in its life, no big deal.
Adjusted the spoiler blade and put the original front plate surround on.

Looking good...

So after looking over it again without being buyer blind and having a good look through history. Here is the spec
Cosworth panel filter
Turbosmart dual port
Bc Coilovers
Kakimoto regu 92z full exhaust system
Koyo rad
Unsure on front mount but pretty sure its alisport
Genuine hks turbo timer
Billion fan controller
Hks idle stabilizer
Mines ecu
And my favourite part, exedy twin plate clutch and flywheel

There is apexi boost controller, tein edfc and defi wiring still riddled in the car but unfortunately no controllers or hardware so its been pulled out at some point

So couple days later i decide to get under the car and see what my steps are with the flaking off underseal, starting with the rear end.
I started to lightly scrape away at the crusty stuff and it would come off in big wet pieces.
This is what it looked like within 2 minutes of scraping

What has happened is the underseal has lifted and caused water to get in and slowly start to rust away. I believe its not been cleaned and degreased properly before covering in underseal.
Luckily i caught it in time

I will carry this on over the next couple of days when i have time
MHR Evolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:45   #2
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
Sweet looking motor

Welcome to the MLR
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49   #3
Dereksti
Senior User

Car: Scotia white tommi mak.
My Car
Great looking tme ,looking forward to updates
Dereksti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 18:25   #4
MHR Evolution
Junior User

So to carry on.
Got stuck in with a drill with wire brush attachment, found this worked better than a grinder. I found the speed of the grinder would heat up and melt the underseal/dinitrol and just make a sticky mess.
Hardly removed any parts, just the rear subframe, arms and suspension. I wasn't expecting or planning todo this so early into ownership so no plans where in place, literally got out there and got all the crap off asap.
Anything in the way was basically hung down or moved out the way.

My pictures are not in order and are all over the place, some missing some never taken, so apologises for the mess.

This was the worst area of corrosion, the filler cap area. Didn't check this area thoroughly when viewing due to access, but luckily it was just surface rust. It didn't look at all rusty with underseal on top!!!

Inside one of the chassis legs, looks ok

While removing the boot panels to get to the tein edfc wiring I found a blown seam, think this is going to cause me some problems down the line.

The Following User Says Thank You to MHR Evolution For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (Yesterday)
Old 26-02-2017, 22:37   #5
MHR Evolution
Junior User

All loose rust and all the underseal/sound deadening removed from underside. I took the rust back to clean metal then treated everything with rust treatment (jenolite)
Didn't take all of back to bare metal as didn't see the point removing good paint, if its stayed on for all those years its on there pretty good.
All was then primered, then moved onto sealing all the seams but leaving all along the sills open to stop any water buildup. All drainage holes left open also.
Then coated the lot with white stonechip, stuff gets everywhere !!
Sprayed a ton of cavity wax anywhere and everywhere I could, techline 777. Its pretty good stuff comes out very runny and then slightly hardens.
Here's the finished result.

So that's where it is for now, not the best and nowhere near being a clean restoration. I have overspray everywhere, but it wipes off with pvcu cleaner so no big deal.
Next step is to drop the rear diff and get above there stripped back and stonechipped properly and then refurb the ayc brackets and pump. I have brand new an fitted lines for the ayc also as those lines are ruined.
I painted the tank and filler pipe but tbh I'm not happy with results so will drop that at the same time and get them powder coated.
In all its cost me around £250 to get it to this stage so not bad considering it can cost £2000+
With it being stonechipped I can patch in when needed.

I have lots more to come but slow progress on the upload as my laptop is just so slow....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MHR Evolution For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (Yesterday), J90ELB (05-03-2017), squeakyclean32 (07-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 21:46   #6
Stevie_
Senior User

Good work

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 20:07   #7
squeakyclean32
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 TME.... White E9 GT....
My Car
Looks like you've picked up a small project.... But well worth it .... Credit to you for doing the work yourself

Keep the updates comming
squeakyclean32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 20:23   #8
Leo6072
Senior User

My Car
Great to see your looking after her nice job you can do mine next if you want
Leo6072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 22:43   #9
MHR Evolution
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakyclean32 View Post
Looks like you've picked up a small project.... But well worth it .... Credit to you for doing the work yourself

Keep the updates comming
Luckily its not to far gone, if it was another model id of just got it undersealed down the local garage.
I still find bits of underseal throughout my house aswell, should of worn a suit but being out in the street id look abit strange haha
The Following User Says Thank You to MHR Evolution For This Useful Post:
squeakyclean32 (13-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 22:45   #10
MHR Evolution
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo6072 View Post
Great to see your looking after her nice job you can do mine next if you want
You couldn't pay me enough todo this again, well you could but it would have a couple 00s on the end lol.
Not a nice job
Old 11-03-2017, 23:32   #11
MHR Evolution
Junior User

On the front arches you can see where they have left seams wide open and just covered surface rust with underseal, literally no prep or interest in the future of car by the looks of it.

So with all the stripped off I have pretty clean metal and no holes

Then all was treated, red oxide primer then seam sealed up. Brushable seam sealer, I wouldn't use it again tbh much prefer tiger seal in a tube.

Then a nice coat of white stonechip and suspension back on so I can move it around.
Looks ok, not the best but better than the underseal.

Same again with other side.

On this side I had a lot of rust and was probably my worst area of corrosion (sorry no pics) It's around the plastic bulkhead for the loom to pass through. I'm unsure how to get this piece off and remove the engine bay loom, I couldn't get to close with the grinder and the rust is under the plastic piece. Will have to tackle this asap

I done all beneath the radiator etc after this but no pics again sorry, must be the worst thread on here lol
Old 11-03-2017, 23:58   #12
MHR Evolution
Junior User

So with all that done started to work on the engine. Full cambelt kit bought, oem Kevlar belt from a e8 iirc, hks fine tune balance belt and then all new pulleys and tensioner.

Id say the balance belt was a good call, this looks ready to cause me some grief !!

Tomei baffle plate and scraper, nice bit of kit. Not sure if it actually does anything though?

O yeah, ns2r tyres are killer in the wet. I slipped across 2 lanes, luckily I caught it and there wasn't any oncoming traffic. Nearly every roundabout or hard corner in the wet or damp I had a slide, easy throttle it was just going everywhere.
Completely ruined the drive of the car.
So sold them and bought some ad08r, probably the best tyre i've used. Does breakaway in the wet but you can feel it going not just snapping away. If I want to drift I can if I want to grip it will. Very nice tyre
Back to back this tyre dominates ns2r 180 compound

Old 12-03-2017, 00:18   #13
MHR Evolution
Junior User

Nice drive through Dartmoor, venford reservoir.

Now this is my favourite picture, I'm no photographer but I love it. Played with it just a little sharpness and contrast.
Taken with a mobile phone aswell

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MHR Evolution For This Useful Post:
evolover21 (Yesterday), M3 ROB (12-03-2017), Stevie_ (13-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 22:27   #14
MHR Evolution
Junior User

Rust is back

So not even a year later, I have rust appearing. Turns out I didn't prep enough and load the edges. Not good but lesson learned.
Car is now off the road not being used, will be stripping it all back and starting again.
It's still in better condition than it was before, will take my time this time round as there's no underseal holding water.

Plan is strip back, powder coat the black bits, zinc plate the bolts, clean up the alloy and reassemble, shell will be bare metal then rust bullet 2 coats, stonechipped then layer of lacquer to give the stonechip a smoother surface and stop it getting embedded dirt (that's my thought anyway)

Here's some pics

Old 23-03-2017, 07:28   #15
rascal69
Senior User

My Car
The issue with white is always the rust re showing.
White looks great and much better but it just doesn't stay as good as its first done.
While doing mines I wanted white and was in big discussions with guy doing it and him seeing how it looks couple of years down the line strongly recommended not going white as it would show some orange spots in time which will ruin the look and also it was big expensive job stripping it , replacing everything.
Just something to think about.
Mines ended up getting 4 coats of rust bullet and topped off with 3m underseal.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=521755
rascal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: