Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 10-08-2017, 06:50   #1
dudi

Send a message via AIM to dudi
MeisterR ZetaCRD+ coilovers

I am looking for slightly firmer suspension for track that will lessen the body roll I experienced at Oulton park on the fast sweeping stuff. I would like the car to have the option to be lowered slightly to lower the centre of gravity and be slightly firmer but adjustable for the road

Currently I have a VI running standard suspension besides Ralliart top mounts.

Are the meisterR units above any good?
dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:40   #2
Mita
Senior User

I would be reading this

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=538369
Mita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:35   #3
mlau1294
Senior User

Car: Blue Evo IX (470/465), White 6RS (350/340) & Black Lancer GSR Ralliart Sportback (300/310) UK daily
My Car
If you can wait about a month I can give you a personal review of the CRD+ as I have them on my 6RS which I'll be taking on track next month...!?

I did plenty of research before buying them and in this price bracket I thought they were probably the best value for money...

I have Ohlins on my 9 and they are amazing but didn't really want to spend that sort of money for some my 6 too since she isn't as spoilt as my 9 is....yet!
mlau1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01   #4
MeisterR
Senior User

The MeisterR ZetaCRD+ will be able to do what you want.
They are designed as a good fast road and track suspension.

If you have the budget, then we also have the GT1 that is better.
The GT1 will provide more compliant ride as well as sharper handling.

I think either suspension will work for you, it will depend on your budget and what you want.
If you have any questions, just let me know.

Jerrick
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 18:28   #5
evo6_kelly
EVO VI GSR

Car: evo 8 fq300
My Car
I've had them on my 8 for a year I haven't done any track days but plenty of B roads and there great I don't have any bad things to say about them.
evo6_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:46   #6
dudi

Send a message via AIM to dudi
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback

Mlau - I would be very grateful if you could do a mini review on them after fitting
dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 08:55   #7
Capt.Mike

Car: BMW M4
My Car
If its less body roll you're looking for, look at upgrading the ARB's front and rear too.
Old 14-08-2017, 09:05   #8
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V 2.3 Stroker
My Car
I now have the CRD's on my V. There is almost no body roll, however on the road I find them a little harsh on really bumpy B roads, that may just be rebound that needs adjusting though.

They are very high quality, I give them 8/10. Please bear in mind that I know s0d all about this however.

Old 14-08-2017, 10:15   #9
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_days_uk View Post
I now have the CRD's on my V. There is almost no body roll, however on the road I find them a little harsh on really bumpy B roads, that may just be rebound that needs adjusting though.

They are very high quality, I give them 8/10. Please bear in mind that I know s0d all about this however.

Your words that I've highlighted in bold above - isn't that the whole point about buying a set of coilovers for an Evo ie that in particular they should be really good on bumpy B roads?

You shouldn't need to go to the limits of the damper settings to achieve acceptable performance
Old 14-08-2017, 10:20   #10
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V 2.3 Stroker
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plip1953 View Post
Your words that I've highlighted in bold above - isn't that the whole point about buying a set of coilovers for an Evo ie that in particular they should be really good on bumpy B roads?

You shouldn't need to go to the limits of the damper settings to achieve acceptable performance
I guess so. On normal B roads they are excellent! But on particularly uneven surfaces at speed the car feels a little unsettled, compared to the X there is one road that I used to really hoon it, but in the V with the CRD's I am going a bit slower because the car doesn't feel planted enough. In my limited knowledge I expect the damping needs to be softened.
Old 14-08-2017, 11:14   #11
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
Quote:
I guess so. On normal B roads they are excellent! But on particularly uneven surfaces at speed the car feels a little unsettled, compared to the X there is one road that I used to really hoon it, but in the V with the CRD's I am going a bit slower because the car doesn't feel planted enough. In my limited knowledge I expect the damping needs to be softened.
Tbh, it sounds like you gone a bit backwards. However, I'm sure Jerrick can explain what's going on here, and/or what more you can try
strange_days_uk (14-08-2017)
Old 15-08-2017, 01:46   #12
MeisterR
Senior User

Quote:

Quote:
The MeisterR dampers have compression and rebound combined adjustment, and that mean both force changes.
They are design to the paired springs rate at near full stiff, so if you are on the track I expect the damper to be within the top 5 clicks of the adjustment.
This is how you get the best performance out of the dampers and paired springs rate.

For fast road use, a little of personal preference comes in and that is the main reason you have damping adjustment.
Generally I recommend starting at -15 clicks front, -20 clicks rear (from full stiff) as a start; then go up or down from there base on personal preference.
Note: I always start counting the damping adjustment from full stiff, because this give a more consistent cross axle adjustment.

As you go over bumps, there are 3 possible feeling.

1. Harsh: That is when the damping is a bit too stiff, and you get a hard "whack" when you hit a bump.
You want to soften the damping because this reduce the damping force.
It will soften the initial impact from lower compression force, and pro-long the rebound stage so you ease out the oscillation over a few cycle.

2. Floaty: That is when the damping is too soft, and after the bump the car feel a bit wobbly and uncontrolled.
You want to stiffen the damping because this increase the damping force.
It will stiffen the initial impact giving a bit more "feel", and also shorten the rebound stage so your car comes under control faster after the bumps.

3. Feels Right: And that is when the suspension feels good to the driver.
This is a personal preference, what is one soft is another person stiff.
Some may like a slightly understeering car so it is easier to control, other may like a more lively rear end so the car turn in better.
There isn't a right or wrong answer, it is what feels good to the driver and inspire confidence.

When you do the initial tuning, you may swing from the "floaty" to the "harsh" feeling a few time.
Just slowly tune to what you like and the last final few clicks will be the "fine" adjustment.

If you have any questions, just drop us a PM and we are always happy to help.

But you don't have to have a "harsh" ride over B-roads, the ZetaCRD was specifically design so it isn't harsh.
Mind you it isn't going to feel as good as the MeisterR GT1 or a set of Ohlins DFV, but it certainly shouldn't be harsh to the point where you do not feel confident going at your pace over uneven road surfaces.

Hope that helps.

Jerrick
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeisterR For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (15-08-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: