Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Old 10-01-2017, 20:19   #1
infamous pa
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 tme
My Car
Another TME Restro

Well with the weather being as it is I've taken it on myself to do something that I've been wanting to for the last couple of years but never had the time.

Although the car itself has always been garaged when not in use there were still bits that I wasn't happy with (mainly the under body) and now with a new garage built that has plenty of space, a ramp and all my gear under one roof there was no more delaying the inevitable and so it has started.

I know from past experiences that a restoration project is by no means a quick or easy task but with all the other threads on the go I was feeling left out and inspired.

To begin with I was self convinced that I was only going to tackle the under body and engine bay but as we all know if you're in for a penny you may as well go for the pound so it's now a full blown strip down and overhaul and its going to be getting everything it needs no matter how long it takes.

So far I've been working on it now for about two weeks and it’s already a shadow of its former self.

I've already taken over 400 pictures mainly for reference for when it comes to putting it all back together but also so I can look back and see the progress and remind myself of what it looked like many moons ago so ill update this thread as I go for you all to enjoy my pain and probably misery.

Here are a couple of pictures of the garage queen before it all started.
Attached Images

Last edited by infamous pa; 10-01-2017 at 22:01..
infamous pa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to infamous pa For This Useful Post:
Dereksti (12-01-2017), joe81 (10-01-2017), RichW (11-01-2017), shellis (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 20:24   #2
Simon350S
User

Nice

Good luck
Simon350S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 20:41   #3
infamous pa
Senior User

My Car
As you can see there’s not much to worry about as its not looking too bad underneath (apart from the black Waxoyl) but at least there’s no big holes to deal with.

Name:  P3bHsk.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  120.6 KB
Name:  jXV5OF.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  101.9 KB

Most of what you can see is only surface corrosion and as long as it’s dealt with promptly and correctly isn’t going to be a problem.

Name:  rYWNla.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  101.6 KB
Name:  m7hnzc.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  Q6Ejp8.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  eDDdAH.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  108.9 KB

Well this was day one with the bumpers, side skirts, wheels, arch liners, wings all coming off and I then started on removing the interior

Last edited by infamous pa; 10-01-2017 at 22:05..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to infamous pa For This Useful Post:
ant1 (10-01-2017), joe81 (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 20:44   #4
ant1
Senior User

Car: Evo TME RS
Subscribed.
ant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 20:56   #5
Dermot
Gt35r user

My Car
Always liked this car, one of my favourite red ones.
Look forward to seeing your progress
Dermot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 20:56   #6
infamous pa
Senior User

My Car
Updates will be coming in patches as ill try and update towards the end of my leave and with working away there will be some long periods of inactivety but once im home ill be cracking on and getting bits done.

Name:  TSQ8Fq.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  133.5 KB
Name:  Oitopv.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  155.4 KB
Name:  1gkEpH.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  104.5 KB

At least the interiour floor pan is nice and clean, something im already having trouble with is finding somewhere to store all the bits that come off and putting them somewhere that there not going to be in the way and will also keep clean, oh well everythings getting wrapped up and stored in the garage loft.

Last edited by infamous pa; 10-01-2017 at 22:08..
Old 10-01-2017, 21:32   #7
infamous pa
Senior User

My Car
Well I can safely say I’ve never used so much dismantling spray in all my life but I’m sure I would have had 10X more broken nuts and bolts if I had not used any at all.

Name:  bREFUh.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  153.5 KB

I've only had two bolts break on me, one of them was the small bracket holding the off side hand brake cable to the trailing arm and the other was one of the rear anti roll bar bush clamp on the off side so these will need drilling and tapping out at a later date.

As it stands the rear sub frame, suspension, diff and all the control arms are now out and ready for cleaning and painting up.

Name:  kqPZun.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  173.3 KB

The rear arms will be getting new bushes but as of yet I’m still waiting on my press but that's not a problem as it’s not as if I’ve not got much I can get on with.

Name:  KiooXX.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  199.7 KB

I was hopeful that the tank was in better condition than it is but after dropping it down it doesn’t look to be in the best condition but I’ll have to clean it up and see what it’s like under all that dirt before it hit the scrap pile.

Last edited by infamous pa; 10-01-2017 at 22:09..
The Following User Says Thank You to infamous pa For This Useful Post:
Goginawa (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 23:13   #8
Rkinnear
Junior User

Car looks lovely!

What's your plan for removing the underseal? I started stripping mines down at the weekend and doing the same. Not looking forward to tackling the waxoyl, looks like mine was done by a 3 year old it's a mess
Rkinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 23:28   #9
infamous pa
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkinnear View Post
Car looks lovely!

What's your plan for removing the underseal? I started stripping mines down at the weekend and doing the same. Not looking forward to tackling the waxoyl, looks like mine was done by a 3 year old it's a mess
I've not attempted removing the waxoyl yet and TBH I'm not looking forward to it.

I'll be taking mine back to bare steel and will most likely use a grinder with a wire wheel attachment but I've got to get it up on the spit first, how ever you tackle it it's going to be a messy and unpleasant job.
Old 10-01-2017, 23:29   #10
A12DY B
All things Evo

Car: EVO IX MR
My Car
Doesn't look like a bad starter

Great thread, looking forward to updates
A12DY B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 23:32   #11
infamous pa
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by A12DY B View Post
Doesn't look like a bad starter

Great thread, looking forward to updates
Well I thought I best get it done before there's any real problems, prevention is better than cure after all
The Following User Says Thank You to infamous pa For This Useful Post:
shellis (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 23:55   #12
Robbo777
Senior User

It looks like your starting your restoration at the right time before any welding etc is required, does the upper car body itself need painted ?
Robbo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 00:05   #13
infamous pa
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo777 View Post
It looks like your starting your restoration at the right time before any welding etc is required, does the upper car body itself need painted ?
Yeah it's best to get it done now I think.

The paint work isn't too bad but I'll probably bite the bullet and get it sprayed while it's in getting the underside done.
Old 11-01-2017, 00:18   #14
Robbo777
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous pa View Post
Yeah it's best to get it done now I think.

The paint work isn't too bad but I'll probably bite the bullet and get it sprayed while it's in getting the underside done.
A full restoration it is then, take your time do it once and do it right.
On a job like this the devil is in the detail so if you have to go the extra mile do it, good luck with it and I'm very much looking forward to the thread.
Robbo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49   #15
Red Rooster
Senior User

Car: In a million bits !
My Car
Good luck with the project .. you've made a decent start and it will be well worth it when finished !!

As for removing the underseal I really recommend treating yourself to a MBX surface preparation tool . They aren't cheap at about £350 but are really really good at removing the horrible black stuff ! They kind of self clean and don't get gummed up . I used one on the underside of mine before it was blasted as believe it or not blasting just pushes the underseal along like a lump of sticky chewing gum !

I'm still using it for cleaning other bits and bobs up prior to painting !

Can't wait to see your progress !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Rooster For This Useful Post:
squeakyclean32 (11-01-2017)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: