Lancer Register Forum banner

Red E5 refresh.

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  mad-manni.evo6 
#1 ·
I thought I would start my own thread to catalogue to work I’m undertaking on the red E5 I bought a couple of months ago. I bought this with the intention of refreshing the car as a whole, though the speed of this will depend on available funds.

My only stipulation when looking, given they're now 20 years old is that it was a solid base, I set out with this in mind and accomplished my mission. I bought the car of an MLR member after a LONG 4-hour drive and after a 13-hour round trip the week before to view two other Evo's.

It looked a little sorry for itself when I viewed it, the red gloss was now an odd shade of pinks with lacquer peel here and there but it didn't put me off and I set about inspecting the car for the next 2.5 hours, much to Simon's amazement. We agreed a deal and I set off home with my new toy.

The car drives sweet and after not owning an Evo for 8 years, put a smile right back on my face. I’ve never owned an early car having had a VII, VIIIMR and IXGT previously, so the difference between them is quite noticeable. The V feels smaller and rawer, with rattles and creaks over every pot hole! It feels tiny inside compared to the later cars but to me, that adds to the feeling of the car.

After enquiring on here for a recommended body shop, I found one and went over to chat through my plans. What I thought was going to be a quick mop and polish has turned into a full windows out, doors off respray. ouch!

I will update this thread with pics and progress.

I went down today to pick up the cloudy yellow headlights as I will be refurbing those while they do their bit on the body work. I got some pics of the car, which is looking so sorry for itself but as the saying goes, you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

Pleased to say, now the bumpers and skirts are off that the car is very solid underneath. There are no hidden nasties and it should be a simple job of flatting it all down and painting.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I paid particular attention to the chassis rails as these are very hard to inspect when underneath. I did have a good prod and feel and knew it was a good one before buying but to get chance to see how they look now is reassuring.

I will be addressing the surface rust I can see, any advice on the best practice will be much appreciated.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Cheers guys, I know it'll be worth it once done.

I did set about other smaller jobs while waiting to drop the car in for the spray.

Repainted the front calipers and re-applied new decals.
Removed the perished loom covering and replaced with new.
Replaced the spark plug cover with an E9 option.
Detailed the engine bay a little.
Replaced the bonnet vents with new and sprayed the lower vent in black.

There's a ton of things I plan, I'm contemplating doing a full underside strip over winter, will see how I feel :lol:

#11 · (Edited)
This made a huge difference to the astheics of the bonnet and front end. Freshens it up while giving it a nice contrasting look against the red.

Even had the benefit of some free child labour - result!

Attachments

#16 ·
It is rare to see an E5 in Red :smthumbup:smthumbup.....this looks to be in exceptional condition too :coolsm:

It's the attention to detail/little things that makes all the difference :smthumbup....this is going to be absolutely stunning once finished :D....keep the updates comming :smthumbup

#17 ·
It's the one reason I bought it, a red 5 is a very rare thing indeed.

I have stripped the wheels (Rota fighters) and will be putting them in for powder coat this week in White. They're currently gun metal and brand new but I think the white will contrast better.

Have all the lights back home now so will be using a mixture of cutting compounds and polishes on the DA to bring them back to their former glory.

I have a number of items in the garage ready for when it returns too, I forgot how addictive it is to own an Evo and buy parts.

Will update later on. Also need to try and work out how to rectify the image issue, mods?

#21 ·
I hope so, if it ends up looking half as fresh as yours does then I will be happy. Seeing yours made me want a red V in the first place, as you know with my constant badgering to buy :lol:

Two red V's, hmmm, let me think what the missus would say. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.