Lancer Register Forum banner

Mitsubishi ASX 4 (Brake creep)

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  zefal 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I would have posted on the ASX forum but it's been "down for maintenance" for a while now...and isn't exactly brimming with experts and their knowledge :lol:
Mainly just losers asking how to get more power from their 1.6 base model :wallbang::shake:

Got a 2013, 2.3 turbo diesel auto (flappy paddle) ASX for the wife. Had it a while and is pretty good "normal" car. The wife loves it as it's up high, and I don't mind driving it's as it's got a little nip to it (not uber slow) and is fun with the flappy paddles. It's only 1600kg so not as heavy as it looks too.

Been great for about 6 months but we just changed the front pads. The old discs were well within spec so we kept them. HOWEVER... the brake feel was awful!

The brakes wouldn't work until the pedal was depressed over half way and then you had to keep pumping the pedal as the brake creeep was terrible.

Made it dangerous to drive. Anyway, we put the old pads back in to test and braking was back to what it was ( braking occurred just by touching the pedal and is progressive, just like it was before...felt the same)....however the brake creep was still present and must have been present before but we didn't notice it as the pads were bedded in fully and effectively braking.

So it looks like the combination of brake creep and new pads on old discs has really exacerbated the poor braking feel! Wondering whether to get new discs too and take it easy for a while or whether to replace master cylinder...

TL;DR Is brake creep usual on these cars or do we need to look at replacing the master cylinder?

See less See more
#2 ·
Done some more reading and think it's normal for the car. I think it's just what they call "diesel brake creep". It's because newer diesels use a pump to create the vacuum for the servo.

It makes sense because when the engine is off, the pedal remains hard so the master cylinder is fine. It only creeps when engine is ON.
Also when really pressing down on pedal, the car did brake well even on new pads.

Going to get some new discs as well to improve disc/pad contact immediately and see how they are when bedded in completely. Should remove unnerving spongy feel and hide the creep.

#3 ·
I dont know if Im stating the obvious, but while the pads are new and discs used, there will be uneven pad contact, until the pads wear to match the disc. This will cause 2 things, a longer pedal and more brake pedal pressure needed, but this should sort itself once the pads wear to match the discs

Stu

#4 ·
Greetings from The USA! I have a 2012 ASX / Outlander Sport SE. Mine does the exact same thing. I'm constantly having to tap the brake pedal at a red light. Mine is petrol if that makes a difference (?). I'm changing the pads soon, and need to check the rotors, etc. I'll be watching this thread to see how things work for you. Thank you OP!

Reactions: zefal
#5 ·
Cheers for the replies guys. Stu - I agree about new pads/old discs, hence why I mentioned new discs.
It's going in Thursday to get new discs and put the new pads back in. I think it will be fine once new pad/discs bed in and surfaces match fully. Just having new discs should improve pedal feel and less travel straight away.

I honestly think it's just "diesel creep".
@NJEvo9MR -- haha how funny - we have the same cars... Evo 9 and ASX!
I don't know if this is same on petrol version of ASX but it could be if Mitsi used a pump to create vacuum for servo?

Our ASX still has garage 1 year warranty from when we bought it so if brake still feel bad with unacceptable creep after new pads/discs bed in, it will be going back to them to resolve.
I did try and get them to check brake creep straight away but they couldn't look at it for 3 weeks :frust:

#8 ·
Zefal: I'm getting new pads put on in about a week. Good luck to the both of us! Lol! Oh, and nice choice cars! Haaa!

Reactions: zefal
#9 ·
So as an update, the car now has new discs and pads. I've not driven it yet, but the wife says the brakes are "sooooooo much better" ...

So I would conclude that the brake creep is "normal" for the car and the horrible feel was caused by combination of brake creep and new pads on old discs. It's highly likely that after some time when the new pads bedded into old discs, things would have felt more acceptable.

The downside to this "normal" brake creep is that we'll probably want to replace perfectly good, half worn discs when we need new pads....just to not have this pedal feel... luckily the discs are not too expensive.

#11 ·
Well the ASX certainly has it. Brakes are absolutely fine now in general driving... However just last night I was sitting in the car when idling so I checked if it still did it.

It does... If idling with engine on, you can pump pedal until hard...but you can feel the pedal creep down when holding it.

#13 ·
My main point is that putting in new pads and or discs should have made the characteristics of the pedal feel any different.
Maybe read what I've written above, it was combination of things giving horrible pedal feel.

New pads in old discs can give spongy feel until they bed in properly... But add in brake creep and it's terrible

#15 ·
I'm not technical enough to tell you why but I can only tell you my experience.

The pads were just low before (not horrendous) and discs were well within in spec

All I can tell you is:
1) That brake creep is real and exists on my ASX
2) Brake system was checked my garage and is working fine, i.e. master cylinder holds pressure (no creep) when ignition is off.
3) When changing just pads on existing discs (within spec, no lip etc) the brakes felt horrible and spongy (borderline dangerous).
3) Putting in new discs with new pads, improved pedal feel a good amount so they weren't feeling dangerous or like you wouldn't stop.
4) After new discs and pads had worn in, brake pedal feel improved to same as it was before changing discs.
5) Brake creep still present but you don't particularly notice it when pads/discs are worn in.

I would welcome you to come and feel the pedal yourself and feel the creep but you're a bit far north :)

#16 ·
I am not in any way doubting the symptoms that eventually led to the disc and pad change. But what I am suggesting is that the disc and pad change should not of itself have improved the operation of the brakes and how the pedal felt to the extent that you have witnessed. Are you sure they didn't bleed the brakes at the same time without necessarily telling you?

#17 ·
Definitely didn't bleed the brakes. I was there the whole time. My brother in law manages the garage so I know what they did and didn't do.

The initial pad change made pedal feel horrible as said. Changing the discs too, improved the pedal feel but wasn't perfect/back to what it was before pad change until the new pads + discs bedded in a few hundred miles later. If that makes sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.