Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Bodywork / Detailing

Old 30-04-2017, 10:44   #1
focus1717

Car: Evo IX MR FQ360 HKS
Anyone had Ceramic Coat paint protection applied to there Evo?

As we all know the world of detailing has come on a long way in the last few years.

I've been reaserching the lifetime guarantee Ceramic Coat paint protection, and wondered if anyone's had it applied to there Evo?

Is Ceramic Coat worth all the hype/cost?

Is a normal good make wax/polish more than adequate?
focus1717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 13:12   #2
Onions
Senior User

Car: 500bhp Evo X
My Car
I did my evo myself a few years ago. I wouldn't bother again but the products maybe better now and also maybe better if done by a professional but it was great to start with but seemed to wear off as quick as wax does.
Old 30-04-2017, 13:25   #3
Craig1985
Senior User

I think lifetime guarantee is a bit of a lie but I know Gtechniq will guarantee for 7 years if applied by anyone certified.

The other interesting one is Feynlab, again it's professional only but it's self healing under strong heat. Any scratches actually fill themselves, some great videos of it on YouTube.

I'm probably going to apply Gtechniq CSL myself this year as I can't afford a professional.
Craig1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 17:23   #4
Pat_c

Car: Black X FQ330 SST
My Car
Interesting - I've been weighing up paint repair and detailing to fix the typical road rash on the rear doors of my X.

GTechniq Crystal Serum is still a hefty investment diy - apparently, £150 for a 50ml bottle (which is a single coat).

Source (http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/price-menu/optional-extras)
Pat_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 07:48   #5
andycoz
User

Ceramic coatings are a great product if applied correctly,the prep is the key same as anything.
The paint has to be as perfect as it can be regarding swirl marks,paint marring light scratches which need to be removed by paint correction leaving a perfect clean surface for coating to bond.
A great product to give really deep gloss or if you don't have time or don't like waxing etc.
If you enjoy the cleaning/detailing of you car then wouldn't bother with ceramics can cause lots of issues if not applied correctly.
andycoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 13:02   #6
Foz_31
Addicted to polishing!

Car: Searching for 'the one'!
A ceramic coating is nothing like a wax coating, the two are vastly different. A ceramic coating is harder than any paint (Jap paint is soft and thin, German paint is hard) so more resistant to damage through poor washing, bird poo etc. It is also highly hydrophobic so repels water and dirt better, sometimes all that's needed is a blast with the pressure washer and dry.

As with any coating, you need to thoroughly clean the paint, wiped down with IPA so that the product bonds directly to the paint, with no greasy product inbetween!

I'd most definitely recommend it, I'm going to machine polish and coat the Lancer DI-D when I get time to prep it properly! Also the trim dressing keep it black longer and water repellent!

You can always wax on top if you really like cleaning cars (like me) just to top up the beading properties.

Otherwise, if you don't want to spend the money, buy some Fusso 99 soft wax from Nippon Shine on eBay... the best £25 you'll ever spend!
Foz_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: