Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 14-07-2017, 02:20   #1
jmb_silvester

Car: Evo IV with Evo V engine and RS Rear Diff
Bigger FMIC on Stock Turbo, Good or Not

as the title says, does the bigger FMIC will give good gain on power or the other way around?, need to replace my fmic because there are leaks on some areas, im wondering if i go to bigger fmic or should stay with the stock, bigger looks nice cause it cover the grill of the bumper but i dont want to sacrifice the power if there is a bad effect. any comment is greatly appreciated

Old EVO never die, they just get faster...
4G63T leads the way...
jmb_silvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:25   #2
Nicolas

bigger
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:48   #3
Cyberstaff
Senior User

Car: Evo IX Fq 320, Jaguar xe R-Sport, Vw T6 kombi highline
My Car
I am no expert but i believe a bigger one will raise your bhp slightly.
Old 17-07-2017, 17:11   #4
Aidy
Jesus built my car

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstaff View Post
I am no expert but i believe a bigger one will raise your bhp slightly.
Not necessarily, it's more likely to lower it as it will create a bigger pressure drop.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
Mita (17-07-2017)
Old 17-07-2017, 19:08   #5
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: IX FQ-320: GT1s, COP, Rods, LinkG4+, MR lip & has the devil in it (& 996 C4S: exhaust)
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Not necessarily, it's more likely to lower it as it will create a bigger pressure drop.
Completely depends on the intercooler design itself, the spec of the car in question, plus whether anything else is to be changed at the same time.

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 20:04   #6
Aidy
Jesus built my car

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
Completely depends on the intercooler design itself, the spec of the car in question, plus whether anything else is to be changed at the same time.
As I said, it won't necessarily increase power. Don't ruin yet another thread with your pathetic attempts at point scoring, no-one wants to see that
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 08:49   #7
Mita
Senior User

You only need bigger if you have a turbo that requires it. Don't just go bigger because you assume it's better. IC's cool the charge air, but also good ones keep the velocity of the air too. A bigger cooler and a poor quality one will be worse.

Depends on your mods and projected power in the future.
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 13:52   #8
beliblisk
Senior User

If you dont get any boost drop then you will be fine......i ran 80 series on big AMS
beliblisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 14:17   #9
leeslancer8
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 260 - EVO 7 RSII - EVO 8 FQ320 MR - EVO 4 GSR
Keep this thread going with any updates please
leeslancer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 14:29   #10
Gtir

You won't notice much difference, slight lag may be a possibility but doubt you will even notice it, a bigger cooler is only efficient if your going to hit high temps but the cooler you can keep your engine and turbo the better, I have a sunny which has a bigger core and pipework then stock ic but I hardly notice a difference, I have a spec r ic and it does the job well, don't get a cheap Chinese copy, I have heard they are decent but I'd never fit one on my pride and joy
Gtir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 14:35   #11
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
Think you also need to say which intercooler you are thinking of, bigger cheapy is probably worse than standard, but a good make bigger cooler, if nothing else offers potential for future mods

Stu
stu8 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stu8 For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (17-07-2017)
Old 16-07-2017, 15:22   #12
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: IX FQ-320: GT1s, COP, Rods, LinkG4+, MR lip & has the devil in it (& 996 C4S: exhaust)
My Car
Inlet air temperature.
Inlet air temperature.
Inlet air temperature.

Last summer I did a few things to my Evo IX .
I had a mapping session performed on a hot day shortly prior to the standard intercooler developing a crack. Standard turbo at 1.8-1.85 bar boost. MAP based map on Link G4+.
I then fitted a bigger intercooler and had another mapping session on on equally hot day. Same boost.

Inlet air temperatures were reduced by 10░C.

Fuel didnt need adjusting at all - which shows that air flow wasn't affected by a bigger intercooler. (Or the particular intercooler I fitted anyway.)

Engine took a bit more timing as a result.

From my own experience I'd recommend a bigger intercooler.
Mine was a Mishimoto Race. Other versions are available that do an equally good or better job.

Cheerz

Mark H

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
jmb_silvester (17-07-2017)
Old 16-07-2017, 19:21   #13
4g638

My Car
Bone stock engine, use the stock cooler. Stage 1+, i.e running higher boost, cams, and remap with free flowing exhaust, slightly bigger, 1/5 bigger. Stage 2+, bigger turbo more boost,remap , etc, 1/4 bigger cooler than stock. Stage 3, much bigger turbo, aggressive cams, remap , etc,1/2 bigger.

It's all about air and its features. Air molecular density is what is affected greatly by using the wrong or right cooler for your application, which in turns affects, air velocity, air speed. The denser the air the more fuel the air will require, the more power your setup will make. When you increase boost, you increase along with air volume air density also, of the compressed air, thus more fuel will be added by the ecu to keep the targeted afr in check, thus more power the setup makes. You can also run denser air in need of slightly more fuel which translates to more power at the same boost as you were running before, that is if you can make the charged air colder. Although the difference in hp and torque might not be that much, it still is there some extra hp/tq. Its sort of like running a bigger turbo instead of the stock one,(of course this setup will make more hp/tq than running colder air charge on the previous (stock) turbo) at the same boost. With the bigger turbo, air volume will be the same as you will be running the same boost, but the air will be colder and more densed as the larger turbocharger needs less effort to push the same amount of air volume to create the same boost and does not heat it up as much. The same thing happens when you use the right cooler for your application, colder air > denser air > slightly more power at the same boost.

Just to be clear on this, what I said about the coolers size is in regards to U.K's colder climate in general, if you live in an area with hotter temps, i.e above 25 celcius in winter, and above 40 in the summer, even a stock engine will benefit from a 1/5th larger cooler.

Another point, is that there are cheap cooler with good cores and end tanks. Good design,(core and end tanks) very low pressure drop, good amount of fins per cm2, good welding process and finish, very good heat exchange and efficiency.

Cheap and not, coolers I've tried and work really well in a hot climate are:

HDI
Autobahn ( be careful there two cores, get the tube and fin one and make sure it is an original autobahn cooler)
Apexi
Hks
Blitz
Greddy

I currently use a very large autobahn cooler, tube and fin type, with my 6868 custom turbo setup and it works very well.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 16-07-2017 at 19:28.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4g638 For This Useful Post:
jmb_silvester (17-07-2017)
Old 16-07-2017, 23:14   #14
heaveho
Senior User

Car: '03 EVO V111
I've tried four, including the stock item, which is very good on a standard car. One was the Autobahn. As said above there are two cores available, or there was back then. I didn't know this at the time, was unlucky and got the crap one. It was way worse than the standard cooler. More than one person has said that the good one does actually work well, but I never found out first hand.

I ended up with a 3.5 ETS through a group buy on here at a price I couldn't say no to. The results from that were very similar to the HDI, but the ETS is a much heavier, bigger intercooler. The bumper had to have bits trimmed off the back, and it's pretty much an interference fit now!

The HDI was very good. If you go with the HDI, be warned, I found the pipework supplied with it to be a very poor fit, but as said, the measured temps were very good. Because I had to sort out my own pipework, it was aggro to fit.

I measure temps at the throttle body with a thermocouple wired to a digital readout located where the clock used to be, and from the original E9 IAT sensor via a scangauge. Both the HDI and ETS keep temps lower than the stock cooler. I recently had my car remapped after replacing a failed turbo with a nearly new identical one. Between the last map and this one, the only change made to the car was the ETS. The car made more horsepower and noticeably more torque with the same mapper this time round.

Last edited by heaveho; 16-07-2017 at 23:20..
heaveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 23:51   #15
4g638

My Car
I can most certainly confirm that neither the HDI nor the Autobahn piping works. I always had to modify them.

Marios

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: