Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 13-01-2017, 20:16   #31
ekme
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXRCymru View Post
What's the thoughts on the KW V3? Did think going for Ohlins but heard there are reliability issues and they can take 3-4 months to fix/service.
I was looking at the kw as well as ant at indigo had a deal going on but opting to get a set of meister as the reviews seem good and a few hundred pounds less as well
ekme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 09:00   #32
VXRCymru
Senior User

Car: Evo X 300 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekme View Post
I was looking at the kw as well as ant at indigo had a deal going on but opting to get a set of meister as the reviews seem good and a few hundred pounds less as well
Yes they have and it's a good one for a quality road set up
Black 800bhp & 657 ftlbs R35 GTR & Blue Evo X FQ400 in the garage
VXRCymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 11:49   #33
turkish91
User

My Car
Jerrick, would the MLR discount still apply to a set of GT1s?
turkish91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 14:48   #34
MeisterR
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish91 View Post
Jerrick, would the MLR discount still apply to a set of GT1s?
The GT1 is already on discount at £1295 delivered.
So we cannot apply any additional discount on top.

Jerrick

MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 18:20   #35
turkish91
User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterR View Post
The GT1 is already on discount at £1295 delivered.
So we cannot apply any additional discount on top.

Jerrick
Ahh, I didn't realise, cheers for clarifying! Cracking price going on the reviews!
turkish91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:32   #36
nickyd150
Senior User

Car: EVO X SST 300
My Car
Quote:
What's the thoughts on the KW V3? Did think going for Ohlins but heard there are reliability issues and they can take 3-4 months to fix/service.
Nearly went for the Ohlins but was concerned about their reliability and need for servicing every couple of years or so.
Took advantage of the offer from Anthony @ Indigo-GT and fitted a set of KW V3.

Very pleased with them.
nickyd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:31   #37
MeisterR
Senior User

Quote:
Personally, within this bracket, I feel the KW V3 is a completely different product.

KW V3 is 2-way adjustable twin-tube damper
MeisterR / Ohlins is a 1-way adjustable mono-tube damper.

For starter, a twin-tube have inherit performance disadvantage compared to a mono-tube damper.
Effect such as phase delay or heat fade are not often mention because it doesn't show off in damper dyno, but is a very real dynamic effect when the suspension is being used.

The separate compression / rebound adjustment is a nice feature of a 2-way damper if the customer know how to adjust it.
For example, when customer tell me they want a 2-way / 3-way damper, I often ask "If the car is a bit unstable under braking into the corner after the main straight way, what do you adjust to reduce that unsettle feeling"
I would say 8 out of 10 person have no idea.
If they do not know what to adjust, chances are a incorrect damper setting will provide a poorer performance than something that were pre-set in advance.

The MeisterR GT1 / Ohlins DFV is about having a high performance damper that customer can easily use.

The idea of the Ohlins DFV / MeisterR GT1 damper was:
Mono-tube damper, because that is a performance design that is more reputable and consistent.
1-way adjustment, because customer can just turn a knob and find what he want, the dynamic of the damper will work at any setting because the damping ratio was pre-set internally.

Now, some of this may matter for customers, some of these may not.
But because of the difference in adjustment difficulty, and the fact that the dampers are of a completely different design, that is why I class the KW V3 in a different category from the Ohlins DFV / MeisterR GT1.

Jerrick

Old 17-01-2017, 17:04   #38
VXRCymru
Senior User

Car: Evo X 300 GSR
My Car
Thanks for your interestesting response. I better get reading on the ins and outs of adjusting the two way system...
Black 800bhp & 657 ftlbs R35 GTR & Blue Evo X FQ400 in the garage
VXRCymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 21:55   #39
MeisterR
Senior User

Quote:
Thanks for your interestesting response. I better get reading on the ins and outs of adjusting the two way system...
The biggest difficulty I have when customer ask me for help with the KW V3 is that I have no data for them.
Without the data, I couldn't even try to work out a reasonable guess at what damping adjustment will the damper reach critical rebound for the paired springs rate.
Without the data on the compression force, I couldn't work out what damping ratio I can run either.

It is very difficult to tune by "feeling", as everyone have different description.
The only baseline I can make have to come from data off a damper dyno, and it isn't data that KW have provided customer and therefore it makes damping adjustment a guess in the dark.

I know some dealer have "baseline" adjustment that they provide to customers for the KW V3 that they sell.
Those will be worth their weight in gold if those setting was based on damper dyno.
Because asking customer to pay for hours of dyno time in order to find out what their dampers are doing is actually not a very economical or feasible solution.

Once you have a baseline, then you can make some fine adjustment because you always have a base to go back to.

Jerrick

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeisterR For This Useful Post:
ekme (18-01-2017), super rover (18-01-2017)
Old 20-01-2017, 15:47   #40
MeisterR
Senior User

Just thought I posted up something I found interesting from this year AutoSport Show.

One of the rather unique feature of the MeisterR GT1 dampers is that we use a double 44mm piston inside.
This is different from other dampers as the GT1 actually use 2 full size piston with 2 wear tape.
This spread the load and therefore increase side load capacity without going into an inverted design.

This is a rather unique design, and I haven't really seen any other suspension brand using similar design... until last week.

It seems we weren't the only one using this double piston design, Moton seems to be using this also.

There aren't much literature on the function of their design, and it is probably different from the GT1.
But just thought it is interesting because this is actually the closest I have seen in terms of what the GT1 internals looks like.

Also, from an engineering point of view, the MOTON's damping adjustment system is a work of art.
Amazing precision and complex, it's no wonder why their 4-way dampers are £10,000 a set.
Overkill? Yes... but what a thing of beauty.

Just something interesting I found...

Jerrick

Old 20-01-2017, 16:24   #41
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
i find the internal working of a damper fasinating ,i still cant get my head around 4 way stuff 3 ways bad enough LOL

thanks for sharing jerrick

Sir winston churchill
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: