Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Other Vehicles > Non-Mitsubishi Vehicles

Old 27-04-2017, 13:57   #31
VI_Shooter
Regional Organiser

Car: Stock Silver VI GSR from Nippon!
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsy View Post
Does it not have a brake hold feature Mark?

Whereby when you come to a stop you depress the brake pedal fully, then release pedal and the brakes hold you at traffic lights etc, the Mercedes have this and it's a great feature

A simple touch of the brake or throttle and it releases, very relaxing driving that way
That's called a 'handbrake' or an 'Auto'
Old 27-04-2017, 19:45   #32
lawsy

Car: 7 sprint slag
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by VI_Shooter View Post
That's called a 'handbrake' or an 'Auto'
It's on auto or manual cars

It stops the car either A)rolling on inclines or declines or B) creeping forward when in gear (auto)

It's not the handbrake.

It works through the ABS module and applies enough hydraulic pressure to hold the car

Very nice feature, as soon as you touch the throttle the brake pressure is instantly released, very seamless process
lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 20:32   #33
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: IX FQ-320: GT1s, COP, Rods, LinkG4+, MR lip & has the devil in it (& 996 C4S: exhaust)
My Car
Not sure.

I first came across that feature on Subaru Legacy circa 1990. Subaru removed that feature simply because idiots didn't know how to use it properly. Shame.

I'll try to work it out on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsy View Post
Does it not have a brake hold feature Mark?

Whereby when you come to a stop you depress the brake pedal fully, then release pedal and the brakes hold you at traffic lights etc, the Mercedes have this and it's a great feature

A simple touch of the brake or throttle and it releases, very relaxing driving that way

***Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon***
//// Do as you OUGHT, not as you WANT ////
Rampant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 13:20   #34
Rampant
Profound thinker

Car: IX FQ-320: GT1s, COP, Rods, LinkG4+, MR lip & has the devil in it (& 996 C4S: exhaust)
My Car
Update

Had my day at Millbrook, after which I've decided to go for the Quadrifoglio.

I've had my initial concerns about the hair trigger brake pedal completely dispelled. I understand better now how the brake-by-wire system actually works. It is integrated with the stability program and this, I think is a massive step forward and perhaps the first road car to offer this integrated brake-by-wire technology.

Having driven the Quadrifoglio on the Alpine hill route and then followed this up by driving a junior petrol version of the car I am decided. Only after driving the junior level petrol car did I understand how well the Quadrifoglio worked and realised what it reminded me of most.

Suffice to say that driving the Quadrifoglio reminded me of driving an Evo. Firmly suspended, well excellent wheel control and very direct steering with positive feel from the road surface. The balance felt just like my Evo and this was brought into focus by driving the junior car which was quite "squidgy", even though it was still quite sporty...

SO my mind is made up and my Evo is going up for sale.

Still may have second thoughts, because of the relationship I've had with my Evo over the years, and even if I don't, I may find myself back in another Evo in a few years' time???

Cheerz

Mark H

The Following User Says Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
M3 ROB (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 13:49   #35
Tom Dick
NR555

Car: Evo VII, forged at NR with a 3076
My Car
A fair decision Mark. I had a go in something new and reasonably quick the other day and it didn't half make me think about the evo and how things have moved on. I doubt I'll do anything about it though as mine isn't a daily. But it doesn't half make you think
If your beliefs bring comfort to your heart, Then who am I to try and tear your world apart? I wish you well in your endeavours and your life, And I'll leave you to yours if you leave me to mine, It's not your place to impose religious law on the rest of us like so many have before, and it's equally not my place to say you're wrong I don't have to read your book and you don't have to like this song
Tom Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Dick For This Useful Post:
M3 ROB (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 15:55   #36
A12DY B
All things Evo

Car: EVO IX MR
My Car
Don't be spell bound by Milbrook

I had an Aston Martin day there, needless to say I found myself in one within a week

Reality hit and actually it wasn't that great
A12DY B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A12DY B For This Useful Post:
Rampant (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 16:16   #37
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
I couldn't agree more. Millbrook isn't all that...

My final, final decision will be made on Fri 12 May when a Quadrifoglio is visiting me at home for a good test drive on my local roads. I'll know then and there.

And, really... You should've known better than buy an Aston Martin, LOL. Don't get me wrong, I know they're amazing cars, but not in the same vein as an Evo. And this is what grabbed me about the QV. It feels kinda like an Evo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12DY B View Post
Don't be spell bound by Milbrook

I had an Aston Martin day there, needless to say I found myself in one within a week

Reality hit and actually it wasn't that great

Old 12-05-2017, 13:08   #38
PFC

Car: Wingo
I'm still getting over selling my IX and that was a year ago. Went for an E92 M3.

Maybe in a few more years I'll be over it.

Very, very difficult car to replace, nothing goes as well and does the same job for the money.

The M3 is a decent do it all car.

I love the DCT box, the noise from the V8, autoblip and all the gizmos, like cruise, built in sound, navigation, phone, weather map, EDC, etc. Very nice to cruise around in and long journeys, push the M button and it really livens up.

Not so keen on it's thirst, never thought I'd look enviously at my old cars fuel economy, traction in anything other than the dry requires caution, I think it's not quite as quick on track over a lap and it's worse than the evo for attracting "road race" challenges from all and sundry. Parts and tyres prices and servicing costs give me nightmares some of which turn out to be real!!

The Alfa looks like a cracking car but you are right to be cautious, being an ex Evo owner is not easy

PFC
PFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 15:44   #39
VI_Shooter
Regional Organiser

Car: Stock Silver VI GSR from Nippon!
My Car
I just bought a lovely 14 plate Fiesta 1.25 Zetec with only 11.5K miles on the clock as my 'daily' it's a lovely bit of kit and just what I wanted in a modern car. Drove it to Thruxton on the qually day, Took the VI on race day. SO DIFFERENT. I am not comparing peformance, handling or ride comfort, etc.
Just the controls the driver uses.
In the VI, you know what gear the car is in and feel it engage. The Steering feels 'real' the feedback is 'real' (even though it has PAS). The pedals feel 'real' throttle does what you input, clutch felt 'heavier' brakes felt less 'grabby/harsh'.

What I am saying is don't be seduced by 'new car feel'. Maybe if I drove a X it would feel less of a 'step change' with the Fiesta?
Old 13-05-2017, 17:10   #40
M3 ROB
Senior User

Car: Evo 6 TME,
Mark, how is it then
M3 ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M3 ROB For This Useful Post:
Realbadman (13-05-2017)
Old 13-05-2017, 19:01   #41
Rampant
Profound thinker

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 ROB View Post
Mark, how is it then
Hey matey

Absolutely magnificent is how I'd describe the Quadrifoglio.

It isn't without its foibles - compromises, even - but still with those considered it is just magnificent.

As Ray (PFC) has already said it is so utterly difficult to "replace" an Evo, this car could easily be the one that does it for me. Mainly because driving it "reminds me" of how an Evo turns, grips, and handles. Clearly, I didn't get the real chance to push it hard in the bends, particularly with a sales guy sitting next to me, but going up to maybe 5 Rampant-tenths the car responds brilliantly.

It was drizzly for mist if the drive, but even then I felt no tendency for understeer and didn't trip the ESP when balancing the throttle and pushing mid bend to exit. All at public road speeds, of course.

Things you have to "get used to":

Brake pedal is immediate and hair trigger. Not such a big desk when applying the brake, but getting off the pedal smoothly enough to avoid releasing the retardation too abruptly, and allowing the weight transfer off the front axle abruptly takes a real finesse that I'm just not used to since an Evo brake pedal is very linear.

Throttle mapping in different "DNA" modes would take time to get used to too.

Braking greater than unknown calibrated amount triggers the hazard warning lights and I achieved that a couple of times. I don't think that feature can be disabled. This in itself is a factor in whether I'd buy one, I'll have to think more on that, but I'd rather not signal to other road users I was giving it the beans in the public highway.

Fuel gauge is a crap design. Digital bars. Rubbish. But hey, Italian quirkiness had to be in there somewhere.

All in all I really love it. Would probably order one if it wasn't for another spanner being thrown in the works later in the same day as my test drive.

Turns out that we may change my Mrs car instead of mine. A used car is just about to come into stock at a local independent that I'm negotiating on right now. Rare that they appear on the market at good spec/condition/mileage/money, so that'll result in me not being able to order a Quadrifoglio until maybe Oct 18.

Right now, anything could happen! LOL.

Cheerz

Mark H

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rampant For This Useful Post:
M3 ROB (13-05-2017), octainejunkee (13-05-2017), Realbadman (13-05-2017)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: