Lancer Register Forum banner

Oil Advice and Recommendations here!

517K views 2K replies 475 participants last post by  benntrevv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this thread will save some time and people asking the same questions every day. (Sticky Admins?)

I'm more than happy to give oil recommendations and advice here which will hopefully build up to a useful OIL FAQ in time.

Just a short introduction first. My name is Simon Barnard and I run an oil distribution business in the South West. (We are an MLR Trader)

We sell the following brands: Silkolene, Motul, Fuchs, Castrol, Mobil1 and Total (totalling over 300 different oils) and deliver overnight throughout UK Mainland.

My web is here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ where you will find technical data on most the oils we sell.

We are more than happy to help in giving advice as we subscibe to proprietory databases that give use oil data on all cars back as far as the mid 80's.

We can give you the most suitable grade for any part of your car and can recommend products from our ranges. We even keep data and chemical analysis on some oils that we don't sell!

You can always PM or Email me if you wish to discuss a matter off the forum.

So my recommendations are as follows:

According to my reference books, the following oils are the OEM recommendations for your stock Lancers used as road cars.

Lancer 1300, 1500 (84-89) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1500 (88-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1600, 1800 gti 16v (88 onwards) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer 1800 GLXi 4WD (89-92) 10w-40 semi/fully

Lancer EVO VI (99 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VII (2001 onwards) 5w-40 fully

Lancer EVO VIII (2003 onwards) 5w-40 fully

If you have modded your car, affecting BHP and temps or are using it for competition/track days then other factors need to be taken into account and I will have to deal with these enquiries individually.

I will however need the Make, Model, Year, Engine Size, Modifications (stock BHP vs Modded BHP) and stlye of driving (road/track) etc and I can more accurately recommend the correct viscosity oil for you.

Please also bear in mind that modding your car or using it in "anger" means the need for a more shear stable oil that will "stay in grade" rather than shear down with use so I would always in these situations recommend the use of a proper ester/pao synthetic oil, not a petroleum oil as is commonly sold and labelled as a synthetic oil.

Please feel free to ask.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Simon

See less See more
#1,793 ·
Hi Dan

That does get mentioned. I've spoken to some oil chemists about it and they have said that the E85 will cause dilution in all oils. As the ester content of an oil is only about a fifth of the total oil, it's not going to affect it massively.

Amsoil and VR1 are good oils, but not ideal. VR1 doesn't have a 10w-50, so I guess you could use the 5w-50. The 10w-60 is only a semi, so not a great choice. I'm not sure if Amsoil have a 10w-50 now, they haven't been in the UK for a while , although they will be available again soon. No idea what range will be brought into the UK though.

Cheers

Tim

#1,800 ·
Hi Tim,
I have an Evo 9 with a reconditioned 5 speed gearbox conversion, Its a 2006 model running 420BHP, Has a ACT Street clutch and lightweight fly wheel, Not doing track days anymore just for summer and weekend driving only. I normally use Titan oil, I need all the oils changing so could you let me know what you would recommend and the quantitys

I will than stick the order online.

Cheers

Dex

#1,801 ·
Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic in the engine.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul Sport/300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Castrol Edge/Magnatec, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

You need a 75w-90 for the gearbox and here are the ones we have.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-673-75w-90-gear-oil.aspx

If you want to go for the best, the Millers CRX 75w-90 NT, Gulf Competition, Motul Gear 300, Fuchs Race Synchro, Red Line MT90 and Millers TRX are ideal. The Castrol Universal/Universal Plus/Syntrans Multivehicle, Motul Motylgear and Fuchs Gear Syn are all decent alternatives.

The best option for the diff and transfer box is a synthetic 75w-90, like the Millers CRX NT LS, Motul Gear 300LS, Red Line 75w-90 GL5 or Gulf Competition LS. A SAE90 or 80w-90 mineral oil such as Motul 90PA, Fuchs Race Gear 90LS or Gulf Gear LS 80w-90 is a good, cheaper alternative.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-970-limited-slip-diff.aspx

You need an ATF for the AYC and power steering and due to the required spec I would go for either the Motul Multi ATF, Red Line D4 Fuchs ATF4400, Gulf Multi Vehicle ATF, Castrol ATF Multi Vehicle or Millers Millermatic ATF SPIII.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-1432-atf-automatic-transmission-fluid-for-cars.aspx

The best fluids for the brakes and clutch are the Castrol SRF, Motul RBF660 and Gulf RF1000. The Motul RBF600, Gulf RF800, Millers 300 Plus and Fuchs Pro Race are close to those, but don't have quite as high boiling points. In reality, they are overkill for road use though. The next step down (in performance terms), but still an upgrade over standard are the Motul DOT 5.1, Millers 5.1, Pentosin Super DOT 4/Super DOT 4 Plus and Castrol React Performance. Any of the other DOT4 fluids we have are fine to use as a standard choice.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-450-brake-fluid-clutch-fluid.aspx

You need 5L of engine oil, 2.8L of gearbox oil, 0.6L for the diff, 0.6L for the transfer box, a litre for the AYC, about a litre for the power steering and about a litre of brake fluid.

Cheers

Tim

#1,804 ·
Car is 2010 X FQ330 with some mapping (previous owner had no printouts and I will be live mapping it as soon as to get around 380 as current map is dreadful) and I think I'd be well advised to service the old girl having had a look at the air filter (already changed the same day!) - it looked like it hasn't been touched in years!!! Despite log book saying something totally different :((

I am looking at Motul V300 0W-40 or Sport Ester 5W-50. Both have ester bases and very good viscosity index values. I would normally go for 5W-50 but I am hearing turbo bearing when cold hence going for lower range-what does the oil man advise?

#1,810 ·
I used that Motul 5W-50 on a different car with VAG twincharger motor and was quite happy with it :). In any case, there will be a V300 order winging its way to you guys - 5l is the Evo X oil change quantity needed? I checked and you have original Mitsi oil filters which is good, have not seen the sump plug tho.

#1,819 ·
Hi

Which new specifications are you referring to?

While ZDDP has been lowered in many mainstream oils, in proper performance oils, there will still be plenty of ZDDP. Also, you can't just remove anti-wear additives, the oil will be rubbish. While ZDDP is reduced, it is replaced with other anti-wear additives. Esters are something that can help with reduced levels of ZDDP, but ester oils tend to have good levels of ZDDP anyway.

As for brands, all I can say is don't buy rubbish. There are plenty of good brands, some we sell, some we don't and pretty much all oil brands will have their basic range, mid range and then top end, plus some brands will have their performance oils on top of that.

Cheers

Tim

#1,818 ·
Maximum protection is offered by a stable oil film defined by how stress shear resistant the oil is. Additives to synthetic non-ester oils improve shear resistance but are rather fragile and break down quickly. Pure Esther base synthetic oils provide much better and much more stable shear resistance. They are however very expensive comparatively. In normal driving and yearly oil change routine you do need Ester based oils. If you however do track days they are a must.

#1,820 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm referring to API specifications and the relation with ZDDP drop and the differents brands work to provide a good protection.

For exemple i read in the internet that 300V 15w50 is about 800 ZDDP with ester core, Edge 10w60 1000 ZDDP and Red Line 10w50 hight performance 1200 ZDDP and ester based (information not confirmed)

So in this case we can say that Red Line ist the best oil between this 3 or the motul 300v offer the same protection and performance with ester core for a road/track car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.