Lancer Register Forum banner

Been a while, my sprint/track 7

6K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  Cryptwalk 
#1 · (Edited)
Had this car a year coming up, i don't think I've ever posted any pictures of the actual car, just other things that were of questionable quality.

The car was originally built by a rally fellow for a track toy, from what I understand he didn't get to use it much.. which would explain why it turned to 6000 miles just this week. I believe it was bare shelled and treated to some secret chassis work.. and built back together with all Rs components or maybe it was an rs before, I've no clue, it's more Rs than most rs on here I'd say anyway!.

After that it's had a couple of owners, last of which made a real mess of some of the car which is a shame, it's taken time and a good bit of money to put it right. :(

I think I'm finally getting it to where I'm pretty happy with it. Whilst I liked the rally stripe it had on before and the white bits, I fancied giving the car a new look, not to be associated with its previous owners.

Car runs a 2.3 tommei stroker kit, Ross 3076 race spec kit, hks280 cams, veyron fuel system, link G4 and tucan display for switchable maps etc, Alcon all round, Nitron R3 l, remapped acd, plated rear diff and much more.

I'm going to run the car in the javelin sprint series as well as some Mlr ones and some trackdays.

I took some pics today, since we had a break from the rain.

I know I need to seal the rear of my headlight, think the cover is off

Here's a little launch I messed up last week at curbourgh

Love it.

See less See more
#30 ·
Looking awesome mate , very nice :coolsm:

Keep it on the black stuff :D

Reactions: Cryptwalk
#32 · (Edited)
Ok been a while since I updated this and quite a lot has happened!

We lost the engine at cadwell last year due to oil surge. Ended up with the bottom pistons hitting the crank, luckily we managed to finish the lap on a crawl and drive it back on the trailer. I had the car over to ac speedtech in Warrington (top lads) The damage was pretty bad.

Turns out it was time for a rebuild so went for pretty much the same spec 2.3 stroker with some trick pistons and rods. I had Ac take on the build as I wanted someone that did everything in house ie build and mapping so if anything went wrong, no excuses would be give as I've been down that road before.

Managed to source a Norris dry sump kit, simon was quite helpful even though someone had sold me a V3 kit as a V3+ With the wrong fittings, managed to get hold of Titan who weee great on sending the correct fittings.

After that and since the season was over I decided to get some other bits it needed. The harnesses and Seats has seen better days so in went them. The seat rails in the car were poor so we got some harry hockey seat mounts.

Sorted a good bit of safety stuff at this point since most the time I'm in a track of some sort, bought a nice new helmet and HANS device.

Previous exhaust was shocking so got russ to make me one up.

Earlier this year once ran in we had a date set for mapping which happened to be the Thursday before Sunday's sprint season opener at snetterton. On that session the bloody gearbox stripped 4th gear and **** itself. :(

Now, after ringing around like a mad man I got someone to help me out. Granted at last minute on a bank holiday weekend which was very good of them. However, upon picking the car up and paying for a strip, asses and rebuild as neasasary at top prices I was very disappointed to find it crunching into 3rd badly. This was mentioned and agreed reluctantly to look at on my return after much time arguing on the Phone.

Not wanting to waste the weekend I'd payed for a went off to try and use it anyway.

Left the line for the first run only to have the car backfire and overboost, cutting out and leapfrogging. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Set off at the end of the day for the 5 hour track home. A little dejected.

After arguing with the garage that supposed to of fixed my gearbox it was deceided to part ways and part of my cash was refunded. Sad really but sincere couldn't see eye to eye on it we left it.

#33 · (Edited)
Once back at ac they set about finding out what had happened. We were all a bit miffed at this point. We had the boost issue and we were still left with it cutting and a crunching gearbox.

It was decided to remove the gearbox and have a look what the was going on with it. Before this I mentioned for him to have a look at the Speedo as it wasn't working, what he replied? Yeah since the other place did the gearbox I've had no Speedo. I won't tell what the words were as it's not family friendly. Basically the car is mapped in gear for boost so it had no idea what gear it was in due to no Speedo and was throwing a load of duty in. :rolleyes:

Off came the gearbox to fix the Speedo left by the other garage.

Found quite a bit of damage still that had been ignored probably for a fast buck.

At this point I'm just so fed up of gearboxes I had Ross send out a new gearset.

Whilst this was going on we removed the old tial wastegate and replaced it with a progate 50 which cured any boost problems finally!

With a rebuilt gearbox and issue free boost control I was back in the game!

Back at my unit I went about putting a BGW on to be a chav and a front splitter I'd had done by trackday splitters.

As a tester before any sprint we decided to do a test day at oulton Park which was lots of fun setting the car up and having a blast.

I decided to do a day with Colin at CAT driver training, one on one to get some pointers, have to say this was a great day, colin gave me things I'm still working on and will continue to work on in the future but he gave me a good onsite as to where I could improve which was something before i had no idea about!

It must of helped because the next day I won the 3 sister sprint overall which I was delighted with.

Beating the fensport gt86 which is quite a bit of kit

To be continued..

#34 · (Edited)
The next round at kendrew army barracks didn't go according to plan and seen my finish 2nd overall to the fensport car by a tenth of a second. Close all day but this time it was his turn to pip me at the end.

Since the car was heavy at 1310 before me and fuel I went on the hunt for some doors sourcing some from redbrick. Finish was good apart from the door cards which has lots of hairline scratches. :rolleyes: just decided to live with it to save further arguments

After this round it was decided to send the turbo off for a refresh as I'd noticed a puff in smoke on downshift.

Since the wheels and tyres I used at kendrew were 225 I suffered a good amount of understeer, so decided to buy some rotas at 9.5 et30

Wrapped in 255/35/18 as I was concerned with rubbing. Deceided to go with some extreme tyres as the seem to be the choice atm all ready for Anglesey double weekender.

So Anglesey.. tbc

#35 ·
Great read and updates :smthumbup

Reactions: Cryptwalk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.