Lancer Register Forum banner

Help !!!!

2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  2+barplease 
#1 ·
This is odd, started using the RVR for work everything good then suddenly the engine is like its gone in limp mode. Firing on 2 or 3 cylinders. Then it clears itself and all good. Give it another 10 mins and it goes again.

So changed the plugs it fired up instantly on all 4. Took it down the road give it a bit of welly all good. Turning in my drive its gone again, I let the engine cool down popped the plugs out they all looked ok put them back in along with a set of coil packs just in case and it fires up no problem. 5 mins running and it does it again. :confused: Now its getting dark so will have another look when I get home from work.

Seeing that I have spark on all 4 coils could this be a fuel issue? I'm running RC750 injectors, can they cause this type of problem? Or can injectors just break down?

Any help gratefully received chaps.

#7 ·
Ok went home fired it up and its missing badly, so took the plugs out had a look and 1 & 4 were wet. Cleaned them off, stuck them back in and fired it up. Running on all 4 as normal :confused:

Left it running to get up to temperature, turned it off restarted perfectly. ?

Didn't get time to take it for a blast as was helping my son put the front end back on the black one. So when I get home tonight I'll see what happens.

#10 ·
You could be right Steve, only thing I can think is that 2 of the injectors are at some point dumping too much fuel in :confused: It can't be the spark breaking down as every time I pull the plugs and turn it over they are sparking perfectly. TBH I havent a clue why it doing it, I've ordered an OBD reader so I will have a look if there are fault codes.......Pain up the arris :wallbang:

#11 ·
It was plugs 1 & 4 wet, yet when you put them back in it starts straight up running on all 4 ?

There's deffo a spark on all plugs, unless two are breaking down? But they are brand new NGK plugs, plus I've changed all the coil packs to one's I definitely know are ok.

I think I'll pull the injectors and get them tested, a process of elimination I suppose.:shake:

#15 ·
Ok started it up when I got home from work, all good firing on all 4.

Left it running to get it up to temp, gets up to temp and suddenly starts missing.
All the injectors are pulsing but no spark on a couple cylinders.

Take the plugs out put them back in it starts straight up running on all 4 again.

Seems like it gets up to temp then starts missing? Gonna plug a reader in see if I get any fault codes.:wallbang:

#16 ·
Given you've already swapped coils and plugs I'd check the wiring to the coil pack for 1 & 4 has a stable voltage at the plug because the wet plugs sounds more like it not sparking rather than flooding to me. It would be worth doing this before it misfires (cold) and when it is misfiring (hot) and noting if there's a difference.

Might be a long shot here, but couldn't the cam sensor beginning to fail cause this type of fault? For the time it takes to swap could you move it between cars?

I'm just thinking out loud so feel free to ignore if I'm taking out of my rear end :lol: :smthumbup

#17 ·
Seeing that I have spark on all 4 coils could this be a fuel issue? I'm running RC750 injectors, can they cause this type of problem? Or can injectors just break down?

Any help gratefully received chaps.
4 coils? so is this an evo engine with COP conversion?

thinking out loud (so maybe wrong :lol: ) but if its originally the same as an evo setup, 1 and 4 would have shared a coilpack on a wasted spark set up, which would make me focus on the wiring for those coil packs, see if its losing signal for some reason

Stu

#22 · (Edited)
Ok came home from work and tested the cop kit with multimeter, all spot on at 11.79v.

Fired it up all good running on 4, left it ticking over, 10 mins later its missing again.Had a look at the standard coil packs in the black one different connectors :wallbang: FFS so go and dig out the spare cop kit harness and find half the wires hanging out of a plug. Had a really close look at it and its a load of crap so in the bin with it.

Ok back to square 1, the injectors are working so it has to be wiring to the cop kit. Fired it up again still missing and started wiggiling wires, got to plug 4 and after wiggling the wire it all came back firing on 4 again. Tried it a dozen times and if you hold the wires into the plug at a certain angle it miss fires along with number 1 as they are wired together. Wiggle it about and it fires on all 4 again.

So fingers crossed I'm right and a new harness will sort it. Thank fuk for that.

Also many thanks for all the input guys really appreciate it :smthumbup

Any ideas who can make a COP kit harness for me?

#23 ·
Should be able to repair that failing connection, rather than a complete harness. Never messed with a COP kit but there cant be much to the harness?

Also, the voltage of 11.79, seems low to me. Assume the engine wasnt running (??) but even so that seems a little low

Stu

#24 ·
The voltage was without the engine running.

The cop kit wires that are playing up are on cylinder 4 and they are so short I would need to strip it all back and put longer wires in it.As the connectors in the plugs don't really come apart. I'm no auto electrician but could probably do it if I have to.

Rather have someone make me up a harness that knows what they are doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.