Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo 10, (track car) Engine Refresh

28K views 217 replies 30 participants last post by  evogeof 
#1 ·
It's been a few years since I spent much time on here. My Evo 10 is having a bit of an engine refresh, so I thought I would put a thread up about the progress.

The X had a major engine rebuild three years ago by Indigo GT and Race Developments. It had new Capricorn nickel/ceramic liners and pistons, plus some head work with larger exhaust valves and a few other bits and bobs. I have loved the build and it has been driven pretty hard on track at regular intervals since.

Just recently I noticed a slight loss of performance and a misfire. Plus it had been using oil for the first time since the build. I thought we ought to get it checked out.

So the car is now with Simon Norris at Norris Designs. The engine is out and it has been stripped down for inspection. Hopefully the pics come out.

Actually, after a lot of thrashing on track, it looks in amazing condition inside. The obvious problem on examining the parts is that there is very significant wear on all 8 exhaust valves.

It's early days, the parts need measuring to see how much wear there is throughout the engine and the cause of the wear to the exhaust valves is being investigated.

I don't have permission to post much as I am no longer a member, but I hope to post up some updates as it goes along. I'd just like to thank Simon and his team for looking after my car and doing it's rebuild. :smthumbup

See less See more
#6 ·
Update

Good News on the engine. After 3 years of ragging this car on track over the red line mostly :mhihi: the bores and pistons are in great condition.
This was the engine when built.

The bores and pistons are still within tolerances and only piston rings, and a bearing set is required.

The pistons, rods and rings now.

I am waiting to find out about the cylinder head and decisions regarding new camshafts, exhaust valves and valve springs.

More later.....

#17 ·
I have a full list of engine parts required. So the engine seems to have suffered some type of a problem with the cylinder head and exhaust valves. On the last build the exhaust valves were enlarged by 1mm and fitted with Supertech inconnel valves. Still not clear myself what made them wear, but the culprit may be the valve springs and the camshaft not working well together. (I previously had BC 272/272 cams and some uprated springs put on a long time ago at TRL possibly they were BC, but I can't remember).

Basically there was damage to the valves where they meet the seats. So some head machining needs doing as well as new exhaust valves, new cams and valve springs. I have taken Simon's advice on replacements.

To get it running properly again we need.

Tomei camshafts
Set of ND valve springs
8 x exhaust valves
Head machining
New timing chain
Capricorn piston ring set
Flywheel bolt set
Set of engine bearings
Cosworth head gasket

More soon.

#20 ·
My car went to TRL many years ago, probably 6 years ago at least.

Yes, a leak down test showed 75% leakage on one cylinder and 40% on another. That's why it was stripped. Pretty sure it was the valves causing the misfire, but I will make sure new plugs go in, just in case.

Either way, I am glad it misfired as an early check and strip down may have saved the engine further damage.:smthumbup

#21 · (Edited)
I am considering going for a full frame turbo kit on this build.

If so, I would have a have a few nice bits for sale, an Evo X MHI turbo, A C-Tec tubular manifold, a C-Tec Turbo Elbow and down pipe, plus a HKS intake with K&N air filter. This was all fitted and maintained at Indigo GT. This kit got my car to 572/540

See this link for more http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?p=5742457#post5742457

#23 ·
Turbo Kit Choice

Hi everyone, enough of the sales stuff, lets move on to the new build.

I have been over to see Simon at Norris Designs today to discuss how to move forward with the new build, over and above all the engine parts required.

I have decided to go for one of his V-Band full frame turbo kits.

I think we agreed that the most suitable kit for my car will be the ND6R
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=431901

This should be pretty exciting. :smthumbup

#29 ·
So, the engine is about to be rebuilt at Norris Designs. Part of the spec was already decided at the last rebuild, so for those interested, here is what I have and what I am about to gain.

What's left from the last engine build by Race Developments

2.0l
Capricorn Steel liners with carbon ceramic coating/plating.
Capricorn pistons and rings
Cylinder head ported and modified to increase exhaust valves by 1mm.
Inlet manifold ported and polished
Carrillo Rods

What's new on this build

Tomei camshafts (Pair)
Set ND valve springs
Further head machining
New timing chain
Engine gasket set
New Capricorn piston ring set
8 replacement inconnel exhaust valves
Flywheel bolt set
Set of engine bearings
Cosworth head gasket
ND full turbo kit with external wastegate, new manifold, lines and billet PT turbo
Custom turbo inlet pipe & K&N filter
HKS iridium spark plug set

Hope to have some news on the build in the next couple of weeks.

#31 ·
When the car was running 572/540, did you have any issues with the transmission or anything else. What else did you strengthen to cope with the power?

Reactions: Wellground
#32 ·
I did, but not for strength reasons. The X transfer box gearbox and diff seem to cope well. Could probably take more.

I changed the OEM GSR diff for an RS diff, not for strength, but for track work, to get rid of the extra weight and to lose the AYC for track use. The transfer box had a whine in it ages ago, but the bearings were changed before the build last time, it's great now. That was because I abuse it I reckon LOL. I have been using both a Samsonas dog box and a OEM 5 speed manual with a diff pin upgrade. The manual is great with one exception, too big a jump from 4th to 5th on a car like this. The OEM box has taken everything I can throw at it. Great box IMO.

Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.