Lancer Register Forum banner

Knocking fron front when going over bumpy roads????!!

10K views 48 replies 12 participants last post by  Stevolution 
#1 ·
Got a 8 and i can hear very slight knocking/vibration of sone kibd when either on bumpy road or going over humps altho i hear it more going over small bumps in the road, its not loud but am just wondering if anyone woukd know what it is???

Ohh the car is completly standard (suspension)

The steering is fine and goes straight when left if u no what i mean

#12 ·
Hi Tony
i had the same problem on my evo 9 at the front wheel,
took it to my local tyre garage and they couldn't find anything wrong any part suspension system.
So my mate who is a mobile mechanic came round and found the problem straight away,
its a 2 man job,
you need one person to lift the up the wheel arch and the other person to put there fingers around the bottom of the spring where it sits in the dish, and remove all the loose bits of GRAVEL,
the noise is when the spring is sitting on a bit of gravel and then you go over a bump and it dislodges the gravel causing your spring to hit the bottom of the dish,
hope this helps and solves your problem,
it solved mine and no more knocking.
regards steve
psn swizel77:smthumbup

#15 ·
Could be drop links on front,little short things. Had mine replaced used to be more noticeable driving slow on uneven roads like my back street

#23 ·
Had this problem last year guys. Knocking at slower speeds on rough roads :wallbang:

Replaced the front drop-links which didnt change anything! Then fitted ralliart strut tops and the noise was gone, fair bit of crud and grit came outa the spring bases when the shocks were off though so that might have been the issue :smthumbup

#26 ·
I had the same knocking you describe for the past few months on my E8. Only ever heard the knocking at low speed and it was always from the left. It was driving me crazy as the knocking started straight after I fitted HIDs and PIAA horns. I thought it must have been related to this so had the bumper off numerous times checking for anything that could be knocking but never found anything.

Anyway this morning I jacked the left side of the car up and sprayed WD40 all over the shock piston and around the top mount and cleared out a load of gunk. Took the car out after and no more knocking at all :thumbup: I'm not sure how long this will last for but I'm really happy to have found the root cause and will just spray some WD40 if it happens again until I change to bilstein shocks and eibach springs later this year.

#27 ·
took the car for MOT today past with flying colours lol, the knocking however ihas not been put down to grit dirt or gravel stuck in those hard to reach placed of the shocks/top mounts i might try the wd40 thing a few people have advised this and say it will clear the problem

#30 ·
You sure you cant refurbish them? At least you'd had tried before you fork out cash.

In regards to the wd40 thing. It will cover up the problem but only for a short while, Water will displace the wd40 anyway and you'll be back to square one.
Regreasing is the only sure fire way to resolve for any lengthy run but wd40 will help isolate the problem.

Note wd40 dripping on your brakes is very bad so go careful ;)

#31 ·
Just an update on my shocks as it may assist the OP and others with similar issues.

I took both the front shock absorbers off today and gave them a good clean and re-grease and they're now silent.
The seals were all dry so I covered the insert body in grease and re-packed the seals and it seems to have done the job. There's a steel ring in between the seals that I think maybe the cause of the noise when the grease dries out?!

Getting them apart wasn't fun. I broke my Workmate in the process as the threaded sleeves that secure the insert and contain the seals were extremely tight with corrosion and threadlock. :lol:
Once the sleeves are off though, the whole job is very straight forward.

Thanks Stevolution for the heads up. That's saved me having to buy a full set of Bilstein dampers for a while. :smthumbup

Paul

#35 · (Edited)
as long as its harmless??
Yes, it is harmless, just annoying.

Basically, the shock absorber has a damper insert. It seems to be that moving around inside the strut that causes the knocking.
I guess the worst that could happen is the seals could tear or disintegrate. You wouldn't be able to replace then and this would cause the insert to move around excessively too.

I'd be interested to know why Mitsubishi didn't spec a different design here, so that the insert was sercurely fixed within the strut. Instead of having it 'floating' within the strut.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.