Lancer Register Forum banner

Scotia White Evo Tommi Makenin edition restoration and Engine rebuild

42K views 162 replies 26 participants last post by  187836 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all new to the forum, been reading threads on here now for ages so thought its about time I signed up and shared my Evo experience.
Lot of hours looking at ebay ads, japan auctions, imported cars for sale etc just looking for the right car to buy.
The car had to tick a couple boxes for me, seats must be mint, must have original wheels/engine/gearbox and low mileage, also must not be crash repair or any serious damage. One other thing that was an important factor to me was it must be undersealed [emoji38] (regret that bit now)
I finally found one on ebay that ticked all the boxes, seller forwarded me some more pictures of underside and vin plates etc and it all checked out good.
So this is the specs and some pictures from the original sale

Imported in 2009
Full extensive service history has everything import papers, jap history, all the uk history, except auction sheet :(
85k, converted to mph at 50thou kilometers so works out around 62K miles
Undersealed when it got off the ship, and then done again in 2011 and then was dinitrolled in 2015.
Kept in a garage most of its life
Brand new discs and pads
Brand new nankang ns2r tyres
Recent cambelt and plugs with service
Seats in mint condition
Turbo timer
Fully serviced all oils etc
New ayc pump in 2009
New uprated rad and intercooler.
Wheels recently refurbed.
Full exhaust system

So i got my money together and went and viewed it. I had spent hours upon hours researching what to look at when buying an evo. So armed with a jack and screw driver i got underneath. Stabbed everywhere, floors/chassis legs/around subframe mounting points/radiator cross member/sills and all know rot areas.
All was good no rot just some surface rust, some flaking underseal around the areas that where rusted. Few little other problems which were easy to sort and were a good bargaining tool to get some money off the sale price.
Noticed from the pictures the front bumper lines where off but there was no structural damage to show its been in a serious crash.
Had some unmentioned goodies to which was a nice little bonus.
So done the deal and i had recovered home.

So the next day very excited to go and have a fiddle, i give it a powerwash all over and give it a good deep clean. Removed the rally art stickers as I'm not to keen on them, front bumper one was hiding a scratch but not to serious, the rears i removed and it pulled the paint with it. So the rear bumper has been resprayed in its life, no big deal really its an old car.
Adjusted the spoiler blade and put the original front plate surround on.

Looking good...

So after looking over it again without being buyer blind and having a good look through history. Here is the spec
Cosworth panel filter
Turbosmart dual port
Bc Coilovers
Kakimoto regu 92z full exhaust system
Koyo rad
Unsure on front mount but pretty sure its alisport
Genuine hks turbo timer
Billion fan controller
Hks idle stabilizer
Mines ecu
And my favourite part, exedy twin plate clutch and flywheel

There is apexi boost controller, tein edfc and defi wiring still riddled in the car but unfortunately no controllers or hardware so its been pulled out at some point :(

So couple days later i decide to get under the car and see what my steps are with the flaking off underseal, starting with the rear end.
I started to lightly scrape away at the crusty stuff and it would come off in big wet pieces!!!!
This is what it looked like within 2 minutes of scraping

What has happened is the underseal has lifted and caused water to get in and slowly start to rust away. I believe its not been cleaned and degreased properly before covering in underseal.
Luckily i caught it in time

See less See more
#42 · (Edited)
Some before pictures of my floor pan

Stripped back and coated with rust bullet, seam sealed and then I done another coat of rust bullet on the outer sills as I forgot todo it first time round

First coat of white on

Next step is another coat of white once this one has hardened, then clear coat. Then I'm going to be stripping the front end down to repaint all the subframe etc

Its just a long and tiring process.

#43 ·
Next step is another coat of white once this one has hardened, then clear coat. Then I'm going to be stripping the front end down to repaint all the subframe etc

Its just a long and tiring process.[/QUOTE]

Don't give up on it now you have done an amazing job so far and fair play how many of us would do this lying on our backs with car on axle stands? But i bet most would like their evos looking as nice underneath. Keep the updates coming:smthumbup

#45 ·
Cheers everyone, I'm just tired from doing it lol second time now not so much fun as the first.
I'm not removing my subframe now, I was planning on buying a quaife output shaft but couple bills have rolled in, + I had a decel whine so not sure what that was but hoping it was just needing an oil change as the old oil looked ancient.
When ive got the funds il pop transfer box off with subframe and do it over a weekend.
All my front arms and hubs are being cleaned up though, will add pictures at somepoint.

#53 ·
Thread revive.
Carrying on from photobucket being cheeky and asking 400$ to use there services... No thanks, now using imgur. Such a better site btw

Ok so onto the front end, heres pics of the before. Seam sealer has gone rock hard and as far as I can tell chassis flex has caught the seams to crack open - not looking to good!!
And here's a patch that blew off when I pressure washed it before, you can see the brush strokes from jenolite rust treatment. Again not good and another reason I wont use that stuff again.

Look at the state of this lot!

All stripped back, 2 coat rust bullet and seam sealed

#54 ·
While all this was happening I had time to sort this turbo actuator. Could see it was rusty but it was worse than I thought. The spring rate was very soft and I could blow through it!!! Gave it a pump and loads of water came out the vacuum port!
New e8 one sourced and fitted.

Brake calipers repainted but I'm not to happy with results, will have them powdercoated during the salt season.
Colour best match I could get, Citroen venetian red.

#55 ·
Ok onto fuel lines and brakes. Currently have nothing as my original lines snapped when doing rigidity test.
Originals going from left to right back over to the left, had a search to see if its for a special reason. Its not.
So ive fabbed up lines that just run all the way down passenger side.
Hardlines removed from tank and replaced with as much cotton braid as possible (so it doesn't rub through my nice freshly painted tank)
Also got a replacement fuel/abs loom as mine was bodged.

Connected under car to stainless braided, all lines are an6 (8mm ID)

That line then goes all away along the floor and passes the same way the original lines did (goes close to shell over roll bar but on passenger side. Then connects to bosch fuel filter which ive made easy to change, just undo the an fitting and lift it all up instead of fiddling with copper washers and banjo bolts. Stock filter 8 micron bosch 3 micron, bosch is the same fittings as stock lines but top banjo bolt needs to be 1.5 pitch instead of 1.25.

Look how the line was sent to me ffs!

Braided brake lines from bulkhead back, designed them myself and had grant @ gbe fit the ends, properly crimped for mot purposes and safety.
Goodridge 600 series hose with hel ends and got a set of 4 hel lines when they had the big 50% discount. The lines bulkhead back cost me around £80 all in, not bad considering oem is around £125 a side a ballache to fit and will rust away like before.

Had to drill through the floor and out the bottom of chassis for the rear bracket, not a bad aim from inside imo

Made some brackets with nice gaps between lines to stop crud buildup, all drilled into side of chassis rail. Each hole painted with some rust bullet before bolting it all up. 2 brake lines, braided main line in an6 and return line an4 for now. Il eventually weld an6 fitting's on the fuel pump and run an6 main and return line with an4 breather line.

#56 ·
Slam panel repainted, lower rad support stonchipped. Both arches stonechipped
All my coilovers springs where painted with rust bullet and satin black. Didn't take my front arms off as there's no point yet, planning to buy the superpro castor increase bushes soon.

Had this spot of rust right behind one the arch extensions, luckily not to deep but would of been later on if I didn't sort it.

#57 ·
Built back up, fully serviced including all oils and new motul rbf600 brake fluid. Bled the ayc with wheels off turning left doing 30mph and bled one then 30mph the other way and bed the other, pretty simple and saved me having to buy a bleed box.

Doesn't look to bad

#58 ·
Car has been on stands like this for months, all work carried out right here so not ideal.

Finally back on the ground. Needs a good clean though

Back out In the sun, my seats had started going mouldy! Couldn't resist so test drove it up the road like this, instantly back in love and it drives even better than before.

#64 ·
Couple pics from Castle combe in october.
I got an alignment couple weeks before this, i was lucky enough to be aloud to use the alignment machine myself.
2.1 neg camber front
0 toe
1.0 neg camber rear
0 toe
Stock Castor

I can see my ride height is to low, will be changing this once i have new coilovers and some other handling mods.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

#65 ·
Couple more
This was actually my first time on track ever, my second lap i nearly span at 100mph due to not letting my tyres warm up, i got Close to the wall and thought to myself **** ive killed the car. But luckily i saved it and went back to the pits to calm down lol.
First half of the day just taking my time and progressing slowly.
Went out as a passenger in my mates e6 rs and after that i just pushed hard.
Got the brake discs nice and hot, and scrubbed the tyres in.

Was a good day, will be doing a couple more track days this year..

And typical after all my restoration i finally get my hands on a unit!!!

#66 ·
Collecting bits to rebuild the engine, manley turbo tuff i beam, used but brilliant condition.
Brand new unused wiseco pistons, 85mm, im hoping my bores are good order but they where to cheap to pass up. If bores out of spec il sell these on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.